Game 4 Thread: Vanderbilt at Florida

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  gatorgi70x7 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Florida is 15-3 vs SEC teams in the regular season under coach Jim McElwain, who McElwain is 9-1 in one-possession games, including two wins against Vandy. How do you see this game going?

mtn2top
    Participant

Vandy’s defense will improve from last week but so will Florida’s offense. Defense clamps down on the Commodore offense. I have it 20-6 for Florida. Go Gators!

gator67
      Participant

You were right about one thing: the offense definitely looked better. Unfortunately, this defense appears to have a way to go before it can clamp down on anyone. Maybe it’s the inexperience, but their pass defense did not look good at all. On the other hand, it was good to see that they did a pretty effective job of stopping the run.

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Florida runs its record to 3-1, 3-0 SEC with 38-24 win over Vanderbilt.
    What do you think of the outcome?

vulcan_alex
    Participant

Good victory, I have seen Vandy give us trouble when we had a much better team. Move on to LSU.

david smith
    Participant

The Good. Definite difference with Davis and Perine in the game. Thompson does fine once he gets past the LOS but he doesn’t half of the time. Although it’s not the best strategic move, happy to see us score a TD at the end on the breakaway. Our offense can use any boost of confidence that it can get. Cleveland is a home run. Franks throws the ball well.

The Bad: Our oline got Del Rio hurt with poor pass protection. They are not good on screens either. Can’t seem to block any defenders on the perimeter even when runners set up the blocks. The linebackers can’t play pass defense. Wouldn’t mind seeing at least 1 of them rush the passer regularly as they rarely are capable of making a tackle on a pass play even over the middle.

The Ugly: Not sure why we even have safeties as the only 1 that ever seems capable of making a play is Gardner but he can’t tackle. Don’t see Washington as a safety as he doesn’t break up pass plays and holds on for dear life to tackle. There are couple of senior skill offensive players that I’m looking forward to graduating as they play a lot and their good plays are easily cancelled out by the bad plays.

Final: Our future can be very bright if our freshmen and sophomores develop. Wouldn’t mind us blitzing a little bit. Very concerned that our Oline looks like it does with the type of experience it has. Not sure it has developed at all. Would like to see us be deceptive with Toney at wildcat as opposed to having him start as qb and our qb on the sideline.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

David, I agree that Toney needs more ”creative touches”. Just getting him in the ”Wildcat” and telling him to just run around the end, is so…. little league… and UGA, LSU, etc… ‘Bama, Lord willing, will pardon the pun, eat that up! Toney needs to get in motion, jet sweep him 1st time for a run, then jet sweep… and stray him back into backfield and throw it to Swain or Cleveland screaming down the field, next time… and big gain, if not a T.D.! I just thought that up at a keyboard, come on Coaches! Text me here at Gatorsports.com for more ideas, Coach ‘Nuss. LOL!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.