Game 2 Thread: Tennessee at Florida

Tagged: 

This topic contains 35 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  gator67 1 month ago.

• Author

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

It’s probably the most important game in Florida coach Jim McElwain’s three seasons. Your thoughts?
    Who do you have winning the SEC opener?

Gary
    Participant

UF / UT has always been important, but this one will be a snore fest either way. Gone are the days when this game meant something as far as the SEC.

Florida football is destined to become a Duke or McNeese State and with the exception of a rabid but dwindling fan base, no one cares. The booster base is not the machine it once was. The UAA is having tremendous success with every other sport, both men and women’s sports, and are quite content with that. We should be proud of the best Womens programs in the country.

But the fact remains, nothing can happen that will change the future. Mac’s contract was extended to where his buyout is about the cost of Trump Tower, and Stricklin and President Fuchs simply are not prepared to spend that kind of money on this dumpster fire program when the dollars coming in are less than the dollars needed to buy No Socks out.
    Gator football, will now take its place in mediocrity. There will always be the true and tested gator faithful, but the program is destined for mediocrity. This is not a glass half empty, just reality.

In response to your question….UT 34 Florida 6. The attitude of the UAA and boosters and administration will remain content because of their success elsewhere on campus. Nuss goes nowhere. Mac will be here until 2021 when the buyout is at least less than the national debt.

Sorry for negativity, just calling it the way it is.

SovietGator
      Participant

On point except for the score. Never underestimate The Swamp, our defense and special teams, and the fact that Butch Jones sucks just as bad as Jim McElwain.

I’m with you though, this is nothing but Muschamp 2.0 (Champ and Mac are clones) and we have now sunk to the lows of the Texas Longhorns, UCLA Bruins, and Notre Dame Irish. The Gators are completely irrelevant in the SEC and NCAA now, and will be until a regime change occurs.

If it were not for the Gator defense and special teams, miracles, and the SEC East being the worst its been since its inception, the Gators would be absolutely horrible these last 8 years.

Franks can be special though.

GO GATORS!!

gator67
        Participant

I’m not sure we were watching the same game. Today’s game plan did not come close to resembling the Muschamp style. But if you are determined to hate on Mac and Nuss no matter what, I can understand why you attribute the win to the venue and defense/special teams rather than the whole team and the coach. It was not the defense that scored the last two touchdowns after the defense proved too exhausted to stop Tennessee.

SovietGator
          Participant

With that reasoning the offense never gets into that position to score if not for the defense and special teams making big plays the entire game bailing us out and keeping us in it.

The defense was gassed because they have to constantly make up for the shortcomings on offense. Its been that way since 2010. The Gators and mighty Wake Forest are the worst in the country since then when it comes to consistently having less than 250 yards of offense per game in a season. That’s an 8 year slump that has shown zero improvement.

It was a great win over the lowly Vols and that sad sack Butch Jones, and in the best fashion at that. Especially after Irma. But don’t go thinking this offense is fixed and going to run the table in the weak SEC East and trounce Bama in Atlanta.

Our real schedule starts Oct 7th, so thankfully Franks has more time to mature and work on his footwork in the pocket. We *should* be 3-1 when we play LSU.

gator67
            Participant

If you look closely at what I wrote, you’ll see that I attributed the win to the whole team. I also did not say that the offense is above criticism. On the contrary, there were too many missed blocks and turnovers (one of which took a touchdown away from the Gators). I simply said that the game plan was not the problem and that it was unlike any game I watched while Muschamp was the coach. I am comfortable standing by those statements.

vulcan_alex
        Participant

Your capability to forecast this game is just as bad as your ability to see the future of this program. Sure we might not have the perfect coach of the future, how many programs actually have that? We are making headway and perhaps we need to have expectations that are much more realistic than say a NC program every year.

gator67
          Participant

You mean the Gators are not entitled to a NC every year? What a letdown.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

If Florida loses to U.T. by ‘4’ T.D.s today, I will join in on the ”mediocrity argument”. As that’s all it is now, an argument! When it becomes factual, actually losing to U.T by 4 T.D.s or more in ”The Swamp” when they’re favored, then I too will join the all-the-time-negative fan base.
    But U.F. is at home, and Mac’s been good in ”The Swamp”! More than that, ‘Nuss cannot be that hard-headed that he’ll call the same ole ”up the middle, up the middle, pass…” play-calling in ‘2’ consecutive games (esp. when this one is for a possible 3rd consecutive S.E.C. Eastern Championship title).
    Lastly, I ultimately see U.F. and U.G.A. competing for the ’17 Eastern Championship. So, if these 2017 Gator football players have a modicum of self-respect, dignity, and pride in the Orange & Blue, they’ll play Florida football today on Steve Spurrier/Florida Field and beat U.T. Go Gators!

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

No additional suspensions or injuries this week. That’s a great sign. WHOOHOOO! GO GATORS!!!

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Lee Corso picked the Gators to win.

Graham Hall

Anyone want to share a score prediction? What would it take for you to be happy with UF’s offense? I’m guessing Florida wins, 27-14

JHCRANE-14
    Participant

Go Vols!!!

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Two penalties to stall the first drive. That’s not on Nuss. Settled for a FG though. Offense was moving until the penalties.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Zuniga with first sack of game for the good guys.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Nebraska loses at home to Northern Illinois. Book on flip watch.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

David Reese stops Vol drive with INT. Vols offense was moving the chains though.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Gators go 3 and out but Townsend flips the field with 45 YD punt.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

On 3rd and 2, Perine runs up the middle for a first down. Good sign for OL.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Gator’s third drive ends with punt after giving up a sack from a blitz up the middle.

Sly Sylvester
      Participant

Mark Thompson completely missed his block.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Gators defense came to play. UT’s first 3 drives resulted in one INT and 2 three and outs.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Gators drive stall after giving up another sack. The rusher came off the edge running past 3 UF “blockers”. That’s not on the play calling. We did get another field goal though.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

At the half, pretty even game yardage wise. The difference in the score, 6-3, is from the UF interception. If UF offense can pick up the blitz’ and not shoot themselves in the foot with penalties, they should have a good second half. The UF defense is playing great.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

To start second half, offense shot themselves in the foot again with a Perine fumble on first play of first possession.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Duke Dawson intercepts pass inside the 1 YD line. Erases defensive miscues on the drive.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Defense holds again. Let’s see if offense can do something this time with good field position.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Toney showing his elusiveness. Picks up a first down.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Offense scores first TD of season.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

The defense missing too many tackles.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

UT responds with a quick score.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Franks throws an INT. Defense back on the field. UT OH!

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

OMG! Gators win!!! Felipe throws a TD 65 YDS in the air.

gator67
    Participant

The offense did not move the ball well for much of the second half, but it did not appear to be due to the play calling. They simply made too many mistakes on the field. On the other hand, they scored a touchdown right after Tennessee made it 13-10. On that drive, the play calling and execution looked very good. Of course, it helped to start on Tennessee’s side of the field.

The interception Franks threw late in the game was on him. He has to learn to avoid throwing the ball high in such situations. That was not the first time he had done this. The winning play showed what he can do however — move away from pressure, spot a receiver and throw a 65-yard strike. This is only the second game that he has played at the college level, so there is reason to hope that the offense will only improve from this point. The last few minutes of the game should also give them a boost in confidence.

And what an ending! This was a much needed win, and could become the foundation for a very good season. Go Gators!

vulcan_alex
    Participant

Ugly but a victory is better than a loss.

Gators93
    Participant

I think a star may have been born today with Toney. He was a bright spot on offense.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.