Game 11 Thread: FSU at Florida

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  gator67 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

AP College Football Writer Ralph Russo’s take:
    Seminoles need to win this week and next week in a rescheduled game at home against Louisiana-Monroe to extend their bowl streak to 36 consecutive seasons. Imagine the mood at Doak Campbell Stadium next week if FSU has to play that game with no shot to reach the postseason.
    Your thoughts on Saturday’s Sunshine State Showdown in The Swamp?

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

Florida vs. F.S.U. in ’96 in the Sugar Bowl, with Florida winning it all, 52-20!
    Well, nothing will ever compare to that game for me. Now it’s just about bragging rights and pride. But since the ”Pride of the Sunshine” will be playing in The Swamp at high noon Saturday, these Gators may find some pride in their Gator hearts, and play like ”real Gators” and win! Go Gators!

Al Bundy
    Participant

This should be a great game. Both teams really need a win in this one. The clowns need a win to get into a bowl game. We need a win to woo a decent coach and try to hold onto as many recruits as we can.

Unfortunately, as bad as the season has been for the clowns, I’m afraid we just don’t have the talent to hang with them. We’re as beat up as they are, if not even more-so.

Hate to say it but it’ll probably be something like a 17-3 win for the evil clown college. Please let the bleeding end soon Scott Stricklin! We need a winning coach at UF. No more bargain basement shopping at Walmart please!

mtn2top
    Participant

The odds are against us and no one is giving us a chance to win. We have the Seminoles exactly where we want them! Gators ruin what is left of FSU’s season with an improbable win led by the defense. Offense does just enough to make it a nightmare in Gainesville for the garnet and gold.

Al Bundy
    Participant

I like your scenario mtn2top. It’d be nice to send the seniors out with a bang. Some of those kids have been through a lot and deserve to have something good happen for them. We’ll see I guess. I’m just not confident we have the talent to hang with them. Even though both teams are pretty much down to 2s and 3s at this point from all the injuries and suspensions.

youneverknow
    Participant

I agree the holes probably have more than we do at this point but this is a rivalry game. The crowd will play a huge factor. It’s a perfect scenario for UF to knock the holes out of whatever lame bowl game they may go to. I’m feeling a Gator Victory here!

Al Bundy
    Participant

Well, we will see how this game plays out in about an hour. Good luck Gators!

david smith
    Participant

At least they went for it on 4th down. Same offense though.

david smith
    Participant

Most passes are behind LOS and our receivers can’t block.

Al Bundy
    Participant

A couple of good catches so far, but the Oline has been pretty bad and if Franks is put in a “must throw” situation, he gets no time to set his feet before defenders are all over him. Same old, same old. Whoever gets the HC job needs to replace every single assistant. In fact, I’d suggest cleaning out the entire staff when the next guy gets to the office.

Al Bundy
    Participant

Yeah, this went pretty much how I was expecting. Defense plays well until the offense turns the ball over so many times there’s no hope, and then they crumble. Typical Gator football over the past 8 years.

SoCalGator83
    Participant

What a pathetic finish to the season. Felipe Franks basically spotted f$u 28 points. Just an embarrassment. I hope I’ve seen the last of him as well.

david smith
    Participant

And yet Kelly was supposedly being asked to keep assistants on board. It’s kinds of like tacking backups Purdue, Oregon St, and a piss poor ND while telling them they can start here. This is what happens when losers make decisions.

gator67
      Participant

We have absolutely no idea what Kelly was asked to do. Rumors are a terrible basis for forming an opinion. According to Bruce Feldman of Sports Illustrated, Kelly’s decision was based on a desire to be in California rather than the state of Florida. Given the near-divinization of Kelly in some quarters, perhaps some fans would want the administration to move UF to southern California so we would be more attractive to him. The hype around Kelly is pretty awesome.

Al Bundy
    Participant

They hype around Chip Kelly is awesome because he’s a winner. UF hasn’t been relevant in nearly a decade. We could use some winning for a change. The SEC East is a low bar to set considering how awful it is.

gator67
      Participant

And he’s the only winner available?

Al Bundy
    Participant

He’s the only one with enough of a track record to be a near sure thing, yes. At least he’s the only one I’m aware of that’s available. Saban ain’t leaving Bama. Meyer ain’t leaving OSU. Dabo ain’t leaving Clemson. Tell me another coach that’s proven they can get all the way to the final game. Kelly was the next best thing. He never won it all, but at least he got there. That was without the Florida recruiting hotbed right in his back yard.

There’s a hundred up-and-comers you could try to go with. Or 2nd tier guys who can win their division but never the conference. We’ve seen what missing on up-and-comers gets you.

CROCS
    Participant

There are plenty of winners out there. What is needed here is the tough approach. Discipline, smarts, and another dose of discipline. No more debit card criminals, celebrating DBs as we get torched on the score board, or jumping off sides after a timeout (among other things). We need a coach is is first and foremost a disciplinarian with a winning attitude. Oh,,,, that and a reasonably good offensive line.

Al Bundy
    Participant

@crocs all very good points. I hope we find someone who can do all that and recruit well. Maybe a home run hire will open up after a few years of catching up on facilities.

gator67
    Participant

I agree with crocs. I also have two other thoughts: 1) having been to the playoffs once does not guarantee a return trip; and 2) not having made it yet doesn’t mean you can’t in the future. The past is not necessarily prologue to the future, and the landscape is littered with apparently sure things that weren’t.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.