Forum Improvement Suggestions

This topic contains 99 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  playzwtrux 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

NVGator
    Participant

Who’s responsible for this forum and making changes to better this place. I have a feeling it’s going to explode, come football season, and would think the chinks might want to be worked out.

There’s been a lot of questions asked about features or enhancements without any answers. I’m sure these are being buried in the current hot topics with the Writers, so I thought this would be a good place to post them.

Is there an Admin who can make changes or is this place what it is?

I’ll start:
    Where’s the button to take you to your “last read post” in a thread?
    How do you put other Posters on Ignore?
    Have you considered a box that can be used for chatting back and forth like Instant Messaging?

playzwtrux
    Participant

this forum seems very basic, i think I’ll grind to a halt on a hi traffic days such as game day without major improvements.

If it were more like that Gatorchatter site is might last, but i don’t think it will in it’s current state.

ProudPoppa
    Participant

Forum does not seem to work very well with voice recognition

Al Bundy
    Participant

As long as we have an ignore list so I can put all the wimmens on ignore, I’m good.

playzwtrux
    Participant

Why did I get banned

NVGator
    Participant

Is there a way I can change the time to PST?
    Are there any Forum Rules and Guidelines?

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. We have a punch list of things to work on.

DocZaius
    Participant

Forum does not seem to work very well with voice recognition

That explains the confusion about a certain player.

Graham Hall

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody! We definitely want the forum to be up to the quality you expect, but I think it goes without saying that it’s not perfect yet and won’t be overnight. But we are here to listen to your suggestions and comments, so don’t think you aren’t being heard. As for what I’ve read so far…

Forum guidelines and rules
    While these aren’t published on the site, we will monitor the site constantly to eliminate any vitriol, personal attacks or malicious content on the site. We want this to be a place for people to discuss Florida athletics without worrying about being doxed or attacked online. While we would like to limit the posts in the forum to Florida athletics, we are here to answer your questions and create discussions, meaning any questions about the paper, the program or players are fair game, and we’ll do what we can to answer to the best of our ability.

Where’s the button to take you to your “last read post” in a thread?
    Unfortunately we don’t have this feature yet, but I’ll ask if it’s able to be incorporated. This is a fluid forum and we’ll be making a few changes soon so we appreciate the patience along the way

How do you put other Posters on Ignore?
    It doesn’t seem this option exists either, but we’ll be doing our best to moderate the content and remove any posters who don’t stick to the guidelines. If you simply don’t like the content of another person, there isn’t a way to “block” them yet.

Have you considered a box that can be used for chatting back and forth like Instant Messaging?
    Right now, this feature exists by clicking on a user’s name, going to their profile and selecting “Private Message”. It’s on it’s own page though and to my knowledge won’t be a pop-up box.

Hope this helps

playzwtrux
    Participant

i guess I’m not still banned

playzwtrux
    Participant

guys, i gotta say. i hope the bugs get worked out quick, it’s rough going from where I’m sitting.

I do like that all you writer dudes are here answering questions.

The Hamster
    Participant

Test. OK, quick question…I edited one of my posts earlier and had the access denied thing pop up. Answered the math question and was then able to edit. Now every time I post I get the same message and have to answer math again. I’m a little concerned the questions will become more challenging for my hamster brain. Is this a glitch? Should I log out and back in?

Graham Hall

The math question security feature is designed to prevent spam accounts and robots and should be fixed for users soon. If you enter your email in that box, it should send a notification to administrators where you can be granted full access. We are working on getting this fixed and apologize for the frequent prompts. We’ve sent a notification for the tech team and are waiting to hear back when I know what fix is in motion.

The Hamster
    Participant

OK, whew…I was a little worried. I mean seriously, I run around in a wheel all day expecting to get somewhere. If the math was going to get harder I was in trouble. Thanks for the info, I’ll try that.

Graham Hall

No problem, thanks for sticking with us through the issues!

The Hamster
    Participant

The wheel is back in motion! I’m able to post normally again. Thanks for the info.

Swamp Donkey
      Participant

I have always blamed you, Hampster the hamster.

Al Bundy
    Participant

Click on the time stamp of the last person who posted in the thread to go directly to the last post. You’re welcome. Y’all must be a bunch of women if you can’t figure that out.

ATXGator
    Participant

Just some feedback…

I get that you are rolling out a minimum product and hoping to improve, but what is the value to us (the users) vs. other forums. Is it that your writers are on here? If that is the case then I expect them to be very responsive and to provide a level of information that is deeper than what I can get from reading an article or twitter post.

I also would not expect a writer on the forum to constantly be telling me to go do their twitter poll.. is the purpose of this to market your twitter feed or to serve us (the fans)?

There are basic features (quote, like, dislike, ignore) that are missing to even compete with the functionality of other forum sites available to discuss Gator sports.

I’ll monitor for a short period of time, but I think most of us will not spend a lot of time here if you don’t improve quickly.

Graham Hall

Well first, let me say that none of are “marketing” our Twitter accounts and content. We are simply trying to give fans a way to engage more with Gator news, and to give you an opportunity to get to know the staff a little better at Gatorsports. We’re always looking for new ways to improve, and I will pass along the quote, like and dislike feature ideas to see if they’re a possibility.

Click the greyed-out buttons underneath the title of the forum to go you back to the beginning of the forum

And @mtn2top, unfortunately nothing carried over from the previous message board

DocZaius
        Participant

^^ You all could have migrated all the good stuff from the previous board if you wanted to. But instead you did the easiest, one-click-install, laziest way out.

Just shows you don’t respect the few users you had left.

Arnold Feliciano
          Keymaster

DocZ, I can assure you GateHouse Media Group put one of the top web designers in the biz on Gatorsports.com. To keep it a free site, some things had to be done the way they were. It’s still a work in progress.
          We have a lot of respect for our readers and it shows with our commitment to producing top content. Stick around, we’ll keep working to improve.

agrigator
        Participant

Hah. Look at all the love jabber get here. You guys realize he’s a smelly hippie don’t you?

stephenPE
    Participant

This place is fine for now. Another place to waste time but there are worse things than arguing about who will be our QB or who is the best gator player of all time.

Jabberdave
    Participant

Mod me and I’ll keep these bloodbags in line.

The Hamster
    Participant

Jabberdave. Interesting name and interesting avatar.

NVGator
    Participant

I thought Jabberdave died with the previous forum years ago?

ProudPoppa
    Participant

You should not allow rivals to post on the board

Jabberdave
      Participant

Jabber is eternal.

vulcan_alex
        Participant

I have no problem with rivals who are respectful, those that are not we now have an ignore feature to deal with them. There are rules and they should be enforced but not so strictly as some competitors.

The Hamster
    Participant

Rivals keep the wheels turning.

mtn2top
    Participant

Any chance our past post count and/or status carries over from the old system?

mtn2top
    Participant

What happened to the “like” button?

Need an easier way to reach a forum-based view of all threads.

Thanks for the effort to make improvements.

Swamp Donkey
    Participant

Jabber, why don’t you visit us anymore?

You know we love you, right?

Black Mamba
    Participant

How about some emoji’s? those are always cool…

maybe an insert tool for gifs & videos too

vulcan_alex
      Participant

They did not even have me as a member.

ATXGator
        Participant

Same for me Vulcan… had to re-register and everything… I’d like your earlier post or quote it, but those basic features are not avail

vulcan_alex
    Participant

The new board is just great. I have been posting here for decades and yet you could not even get my email transferred, not to mention allowing the previous cookies to work. So I just started over same name and email, but of course decades of history lost. Probably won’t be posting much since I don’t approve of incompetence much.

Swamp Donkey
    Participant

SIMPLE!!!

gator_tom
    Participant

Thanks!!

Pied Piper
    Participant

Arnold…. no offense… but that is something Will Muschamp would have said.

DocZaius
    Participant

Pied Piper
    Participant

Since there are so few posts being made, it would nice if you can set it up so we all get an email or text to alert the users a new post was made.

Pied Piper
    Participant

Another suggestion: assign a dumper or pumper label to every poster. Dumpers get a 1 week ban after a loss.

UFever
    Participant

Greetings and salutations.

gatorsid
    Participant

I am getting the round table back together.

Ron Jeremy
    Participant

I remember that name, gatorsid. He’s the guy that got a restraining order against him for stalking that 12 year old boy at popwarner games. Always wondered what happened to you. Good to see they let you back on computers now.

gatorsid
    Participant

Hitman is the greatest football player ever. He is black and an athlete.

UFever
    Participant

Am I the only one that got tagged with buttplugs? Serious question here.

vulcan_alex
      Participant

Greatest ever??? How about say Barry Sanders for example. Some of his NFL moves were unbelievable. I could go on but you won’t get the point.

Pied Piper
    Participant

I dont think so. I dont have any tags. I think the field autopopulates based on your browser history.

TheMexican
    Participant

Amigo UFever,

I have been tagged by buttplugs as well, but only when I post here. Seems like a fun thing for a Mexican fiesta.

UFever
    Participant

null

Pied Piper
    Participant

I bet Dooley started with that tag.

The Hamster
    Participant

TheMexican
    Participant

Amigos. It is time to party!

Black Mamba
    Participant

Red Hatter
    Participant

GET RID OF LIBERALS BEST BOARD EVER K?

Pied Piper
    Participant

Is there any way to put a weather radar on the page? It would be nice to see if it was raining.

The Hamster
    Participant

Jabberdave is a hippie???

stephenPE
    Participant

The trolls will eventually tire of the game and return to the cool place. I appreciate the effort. The old GSMB was a great source of entertainment. Maybe the glory will return ………….

Pied Piper
    Participant

The glory left when The Sun slammed the door in our faces and told us all to **** off.

stephenPE
      Participant

The glory left when The Sun slammed the door in our faces and told us all to **** off.

Sorta like Urban Meyer? I know so many felt jilted by him………… you know the type that had GFs do the same to them.

vulcan_alex
        Participant

Welcome back Sid, if that is really you. Please forget the round table, but give us some of that alternative point of view from long ago. Now as to your questions I think we Gators are all Green, so I want those who meet our needs and requirements and want to be Gators. I heard the Marines call their associates with darker skin “dark green” I think we might use the same idea for Gators.

johngator2
    Participant

You tell ’em, John.

Thanks,

brad

The Hamster
    Participant

Did they leave a glory hole open? I need to escape this wheel!

johngator2
    Participant

Will you be wishing me a happy birthday and create a thread so that all of my friends will wish me a happy birthday. That would be cool.

The Hamster
    Participant

Johngator2…we will address these threads in the lizard lounge.

gatorsid
    Participant

Coach, you are welcome to join the round table. If you are interested you must answer this question. Do you wish UF had more black athletes?

stephenPE
    Participant

VA, this is a troll with Sid’s name. Many have come to prove how bad this forum is. I think Ox Soros is paying them. Either way the novelty will wear off soon enough and we will find out if it flies in here.

Jabberdave
    Participant

This sombrero is too big for the bathroom.

JHCRANE-14
    Participant

Nice to see this forum getting updated 🙂

gatorsid
    Participant

Vulcan you are welcome to join the new round table as well.

Jabberdave
    Participant

Sid, I’ll get EvilGator back over here to manage you.

Now hold my sombrero.

The Hamster
    Participant

Who’s providing sombreros? Do they have Hamster size?

Hitman88
    Participant

Sid’s roundtable was GARBAGE just like my so called football career that ended in pop warner on the girls field where I just couldn’t hang with those tough girls.

Hitman88
    Participant

I feel ashamed to be labeled a black athlete. There was NOTHING athletic about me. I would rather stay home and watch white athletes like Tim Tebow and Tom Brady.

Hitman88
    Participant

These boards have a LONG way to go to improve and compete with the likes of GATORCHATTER who has an absolute STRANGLE hold on the Gator Message Board market. Kudos on attempting to make a comeback but the traffic is not there yet to get back to where you used to be at.

stephenPE
    Participant

Gator Chatter is far and away the standard right now. But I always heard competition was good for business. Keeps em on their toes and fends of complacency……….
    And I guess trolling is good for the board cause it equals clicks from cliques………

JHCRANE-14
    Participant

You need a good troll or two…as long as their not to vulgar.

vulcan_alex
      Participant

Swamp Gas has a lot of activity, but it also has arrogant folks who ban people for basically nothing. They are probably number one in my view.

mtn2top
    Participant

It’s great to have the Sun’s sportswriters participating on here now. That will make a big difference as time goes forward.

The imposters are a joke compared to the former GS posters you are imitating.

Arnold Feliciano
      Keymaster

Mtn2top: Thanks. That’s the plan, keeping the Sun staff involved. We have a meeting set up this week with the GateHouse web guru who built this site to iron out the kinks, make improvements and see if he can make most of the posters’ suggestions happen.
      As for trolls and others who get out of line by not following the posted guidelines, I’m told I can use the block/delete key at will to keep this a fun, informative forum.

Swamp Donkey
    Participant

You miss Sid do you, Mtn?

Gator2222
    Participant

The Sun staff is going to stay involved?

Does that mean we can look forward to Pat posting in list form information about his family, his house and the many, many minor inconveniences he has to endure while occasionally mentioning sports?

Makes me want to go dig my iPod out of the closet. If only there was someone to tell me what music to play.

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Gator2222: What you mention is a small piece in his Back Nine column. When I’m at Gator fan functions and folks find out I work with Pat, they tell me how much they enjoy his columns, and yes, find his music choices interesting. They even give me song suggestions to pass to him. As in everything in life, you can’t please everyone.
    Pat provides a lot of solid information about the UF program, a reason he is sought out by the SEC Network, ESPN and other national media outlets for his Gators insight.

playzwtrux
    Participant

@Arnold

maybe in this meeting with the web guru you could ask them to provide a preview of the thread when you “hover” over the thread title.

It’s a great feature.

vulcan_alex
      Participant

You work with him so perhaps you have a massive bias. Just saying!!!

Arnold Feliciano
        Keymaster

Vulcan, I just wrote the facts about Pat and the things that happen on a weekly basis. Now, about his wardrobe …

Pied Piper
    Participant

A customizable scrolling stock ticker would also be a big help.

Thanks for listening.

TheMexican
    Participant

If Dooley needs some south of the border attire, he needs to contact me.

AlexDaGator
    Participant

It’s probably because he shares a last name with that hated ‘Dawg Vince.

You know, kinda like that ESPN Robert Lee thing.

Anybody named Dooley is going to trigger those salty old 0-10-1 Gator fans.

Maybe Pat could be reassigned to Georgia (the Dooley name is pretty much mud in Knoxville too) and we could hire somebody with a good Gator name like Wuerffel or Tebow?

Alex.

vulcan_alex
    Participant

How about an ignore feature, like and dislike buttons, and a political board for a few ideas.

Arnold Feliciano
      Keymaster

Vulcan, Looks like the web guy has installed the like, dislike button. He will work on the ignore one. The political board may be for another day.
      Thanks.

stephenPE
    Participant

Anybody named Dooley is going to trigger those salty old 0-10-1 Gator fans.

I resemble that remark. Im ok with Pat. IT was that (#*$&#& David Steele (uga grad) I never warmed up to.

pinesgator
    Participant

Let’s never have a political forum. Having seen what’s on other boards, there’s no proactive discussion, just highly polarized people re affirming each other.

Homer J
    Participant

What the heck happened here? I lost 5,000 plus posts.

How do we return to the main page?

Jabberdave
      Participant

You will not return. We have assumed control. We have assumed control.

We have assumed control.

playzwtrux
    Participant

Can you start a thread from mobile?
    Or am I just missing it?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.