Florida's Head Coach Has Got to Go

This topic contains 38 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  gator67 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

Florida is floundering in mediocrity. The Gators need to get back to the days of Tebow and Meyer. This loser will only bring us grief. He’s got to go.

samfooter
    Participant

Long time Gator-’54. First time responder and I live in Austin, TX. Amazing the similarities between the Gator and Longhorn coaching issues and performance in the last several years. My vote is to keep him for his full 5 year contract and by that time everyone will want to renew. He has done a remarkable job considering his starting point,the injuries the past two years, the “knucklehead nine” and the lack of a premier QB. The one he had took himself out of the picture. Give him the time he deserves and he will succeed. Also be thankful you have sports writers like Dooley and Andreu. Gator 54

Threadkiller
      Participant

Thanks for participating in the forum, Pat Dooley!

ufgator2002
    Participant

Totally agree samfooter

Lord Fauntleroy
      Participant

I look at this coach I see the second coming of Ron Zook. In my book he’s only a hair ahead of Butch Jones. Is Florida going to emulate Tennessee in hiring and sustaining coaches that will never lead the Gators back SEC Championships and contenders for the NC?

vulcan_alex
    Participant

Not happening and perhaps if some new and much better coaches replace those we currently have improvements will occur.

urn357
    Participant

It is another down year, but he don’t need to go yet. Who would we get anyway? Not like the pool of coaches is ever-flowing at the moment. I believe the time is coming to see what Mac can really do when he has everybody healthy, not suspended, and a mature qb that isn’t injured all the time. If we still like this by year 5, then yea, call up Dan Mullen, if somebody else don’t steal him from MS St. by then!

Lord Fauntleroy
      Participant

That is a sobering but valid point. If you sack Mac who will fill his shoes? The Florida job is no longer considered golden to coaches around this land. What quality head coach would want to throw in his lot with such vicious and contrary fan base not to mention a team that is seemingly destined to be in the shadow of an Alabama so rich with a historic winning tradition, wealthy alumni and a storied past of superstar head coaches.

Sly Sylvester
        Participant

Let’s get rid of you instead. You would be a lot happier as an Alabama fan.

alohakid
    Participant

Make it so.

mtn2top
    Participant

I completely support Coach Mac, this team and program. We are at a critical juncture of development with a top class coming in and key players reaching maturity. Only fools or Gator bait would want to change leadership now.

gator67
      Participant

I also support him in the sense that he should be given more of a chance to show what he can accomplish. His recent recruiting, along with the maturation of young players now on the team, has set the stage for him to do something special. We will see whether that happens, but only if we give him a chance.

ufgator2002
    Participant

The ones who are whining and complaining, mostly are the ones who didn’t like him from the very beginning because he isn’t whom, “they” thought should be hired. So they are just complaining about everything. But I bet they also will be the ones if he turns it all around saying they knew he was great all along…. smh

urn357
      Participant

lol sadly every fan base has them. You should see the UGA mess up here I am having to deal with this week. They are really high on the horse this year, oh…that’s every year, and man does it get on my nerves. If it’s not “this is the year” comments, then it is always a love/hate Richt conversation they are still having. Again, these are just the complaining fans all schools have..lol.

CROCS
    Participant

Unfortunately we cannot quiet the loud minority (sound familiar leftists?)…but for those with a broader perspective we can see that this ship is headed in the right direction under Coach Mac. This team is still developing. Mac has developed relationships with (4 and 5 star) youngsters in high school who are juniors and seniors now. He has Corral coming. He is battling with a RS freshman QB now. And suspensions. And injuries. And a missed extra point (had to throw that in there). Yes changes are required, but not a wholesale leadership swap-out. That is ludicrous. To solicit for Mac’s ouster is short-sighted and foolish. The program is developing and even without orange & blue glasses on, the future is brighter. Let him coach and manage this team and watch him deliver.

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

This game is arguably the most storied rivalry in the South. Consider what has transpired today. Is this enough public humiliation for the Florida Gators? When will the fan-base decry “enough is enough”? How long do we suffer with bum quarterbacks and a less than stellar head coach?

I reiterate…………..

Mac has GOT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

The Florida football program………..
    http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/593af2ddbf76bb47028b4c5d/if-a-nuclear-bomb-goes-off-this-is-the-most-important-thing-you-can-do-to-survive.jpg

dfwgator
      Participant

Georgia lost their All-SEC Quarterback and they never missed a beat.

dfwgator
    Participant

Where are the Mac defenders now?

david smith
    Participant

Wasn’t UGA’s offense better last year than our offense this year with a true freshmen at qb compared to our redshirt freshman and 15 transfers. Hmm. Now they have another true freshman it’s even better than last year. 3 years later and our offense is totally decimated. I guess this is what improvement looks like. UGA recruits 5* qbs each year and UF recruits castoff transfers.

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

The INCREDIBLE SULK.
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ca/a1/71/caa171e31c6d408dd47ca814d5b5ea20--will-muschamp-florida-gators.jpg

david smith
    Participant

Things that make you say hmm. When your coach’s biggest accomplishment is signing his targeted field goal kicker.

Threadkiller
    Participant

I don’t think McElwain should be axed. He had two pretty good seasons, and we are seeing some benefits from his recruiting.

However if he does go, I would like to get someone from outside the “Saban tree”. I know Kirby looks good at UGA right now, but we’ve had enough duds that are former Alabama assistants.

redhatgator
    Participant

So… I’ve been reading this forum for years… From all over the world while being in the military. Funny that after this debacle of a showing it was the first time i was compelled to write in the forum. So, some questions to ask fellow Gators:

1. If, and it’s a BIG IF at this point, the Administration decides to find a way out of the buyout, and start yet another search, what (and more important who) do we target? At this state, other then trying to lure maybe Gundy, nobody jumps out as a big name that may see UF as a better school then where they are already. Strong? Gruden? Sound off if you have any idea’s..

2. What coaches that are interested will be apprehensive after seeing what was done to Mac if they do axe him? 3 years and a boot is bound to speak loud to potential new hires. I know we live in a :what have you done for me lately” world, but there will be a 2nd and 3rd order effect by firing Mac. I’m not saying it isnt time, but it has to be discussed.

3. We all know the same argument… No offense since the Tebow days. This has to change, but are we prepared for a true rebuilding project? That really may happen with the next coaching change. We are bound to lose a very good recruiting class, and we’ll prob watch a few of our good player depart for other schools.

Again, I’m tired of seeing the same crap product being put out on the field year after year, but I would warn others that the fix may be a painful one. Were not that attractive anymore. Maybe it’s time to put SOS in charge of the rebuild. Let him do the next hire. Just my 2 cents

gator67
    Participant

The reports that Mac will be fired soon are so strong that it would now be a surprise if it did not happen. I have been in the give-Mac-a-chance camp, but I cannot see how he can function successfully at UF if he has the kind of poor relationship with the administration that many reports suggest. I do not know how true those reports are (and suspect that they are probably one-sided in their description of the situation), but they certainly make it sound as if there is little real support for him in the administration. If they are going to fire him, it needs to be sooner rather than later. Perhaps others could then try to minimize the damage this will do to recruiting.

mtn2top
    Participant

Coach Mac created some issues this week with the Monday presser comments. Other than that, what’s changed? We knew the season would be challenged by a green QB, nine missing players, plus the expected injuries as the season wore on.

Now we’re waiting for an announcement to terminate our head coach in the middle of the season? This is unbelievable and not something any Gator should be proud. It’s extremely unfair to this team and staff. It’s an action that will wreck a top 5 recruiting class for next year. Remember the Chinese proverb, careful what you ask for – you may get it. We are watching a Gator program unravel in just a week, and it will take 3-5 years to get back to this point again.

I’m very disappointed in Stricklin and the administration in their timing – or lack therof. The players and team were kicked in the chest at breakfast on game day with news of an organized effort to get rid of their coach.

Little was said by the administration all week. Then they added to a nightmare Georgia week by allowing rumors and leaks to fly right up to kick-off. Then a strange statement before kick-off, when something could have been said all week.

We never did or would see this kind of backstage drama with coaches in the Foley era. It’s very disappointing to this lifelong Gator.

gator67
      Participant

I agree that the AD’s office seems to be failing to get in front of this story and has helped to create a situation that invites rumors. The lack of support for Mac — or more precisely the implicit criticism of Mac — in the two tweets that came from the AD’s office last week were a strong sign that something more fundamental than Monday’s fiasco was afoot. It is a messy situation, not a good look for UF, and it’s past time for Stricklin to do something to get things cleared up and start laying the groundwork for moving forward. With the right moves, there are reasons to think that the recruiting class may be largely saved. But I believe that the program needs to end the chaos for that to happen.

If there are differences that make the relationship between Mac and the administration unworkable, a change is needed. It is hard to imagine why Stricklin would have extended Mac’s contract if this were so, however, so I am not sure why things turned sour so quickly. Besides being a fast turn-around, this has complicated the decision to terminate Mac due to the high cost involved. In any case, the Gators need a more stable situation to emerge asap. I’m hoping things will be more settled before the day is done.

mtn2top
        Participant

No one they will hire will match SOS’s record in their first two years. No one will take this program to the SEC Championship in both of their first two seasons. Coach Mac squeezed mostly victories out of a mishmash of players.

Now, when struggling with a series of bad events the admin bails on Coach Mac, his staff and this team. Why would decent players and coaches want to come here?

We’ve become the “new Tennessee” of the conference, hiring and firing coaches every couple of years – even after getting results! You build a program – you can’t buy it. We seem to be minutes away from resetting the Gator football program and beginning this insane cycle all over again. I don’t see why any Gator could delight in these events.

Stricklin has completely bungled his first crisis as AD. This situation was handled poorly and unprofessionally.

Gators93
    Participant

There must be things behind the scenes that we are not privy to that affected this decision. It’s not the way I would have wanted things to go down, but what can we do. We’re just the fans. McElwain seems like a nice guy. I wish him the best of luck and hope he lands on his feet at a program that is a better fit.

redhatgator
    Participant

Once again, all of these misteps will make it very hard to find a good coach. Who would dare believe anything these morons in charge say now? I swear, the fools that run the athletics now are worse then at any other time in the last 40 years. Stricklin = retard. End of story. How you handle things speaks volumes… This dud needs to go as well

gator67
    Participant

My hope is that a recognition that UF parted ways with Mac over off-the-field issues will temper the concern about his early dismissal. It may be true that he would not have been fired if the Gators were 7-0 or 6-1 at this point, but it also appears to be the case that he would not be in danger without the conflicts with the administration. I am not pleased with this development, but I also think that there needs to be a good working relationship between the coach and the administration. For whatever reason, this did not seem to be the situation with Mac.

mtn2top
    Participant

Do you think this week would have happened if Foley was still running the UAA? Of course not. This is Stricklin taking the opportunity of a couple of bad weeks for Coach Mac to take complete control of the program with his own choice for the job. That’s his right and he exercised it.

We’re about to see how that plays out over the next couple of years. We went from Coach Mac and expecting year three results or realistically great things next year – to yet another three year reset. That is not progress.

gator67
      Participant

You may be right about Foley. Mac was his choice so he would likely have stuck with Mac for a while longer. If the reports we now read are accurate, however, there was more to this than a couple of bad weeks. In any case, the Gators will definitely be in reset mode after this year, but perhaps the next coach can make faster progress since Mac has left him more to work with on offense than Mac had when he arrived. I regret that it has come to this, but I’m also hopeful that the future will be better.

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

After the Bulldog fiasco its just a matter of time before there is an official announcement to the media that the Head Coach of the University of Florida is stepping down.

After that eventually who will be next in the firing line of being Head Coach of the Florida Gators?

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

I’ll go on the record when the smoke clears the fate of Butch and Mac will be a deserved extinction like the dinosaurs after the asteroid impact 66 million years ago.

Mediocrity or even the satisfaction of being the annual 2nd banana to Alabama is unacceptable to the fans who cheered Tebow and Meyer to National Championship glory.

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

There’s no more spoiled, entitled, arrogant complaining fans than the raving rednecks from hell of the University of Alabama. That being said they still somehow someway keep their football program on the precipice of high quality and a National Championship contender. We should do no less but since the departure of Tebow and Meyer we keep getting saddled with bum quarterbacks and less than stellar coaches.

This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dfwgator
    Participant

Yep, Bama had Mike “It’s Rollin’, Baby, it’s Rollin'” Price.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.