46.5 F
Gainesville, FL
Friday, November 17, 2017

Done Deal: Chip Kelly to the Gators

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  NotQyteNeo 9 hours, 49 minutes ago.

• Author

The Hamster
    Participant

Could this be true? Sure seems to be a lot of smoke this morning! Are you guys hearing anything?

Swamp Donkey
    Participant

Wow!!!! Lots of smoke now.

Gators93
    Participant

I would be super excited if it was true. I think he checks most of the boxes.Just a rumor at this point though.

Ol’time Gator
    Participant

Not the best choice…..he’s another west coast guy and same personality as Coach Mac! He will not do well in this environment!

Al Bundy
    Participant

It’s over. The fat lady sang, and it was a glass shattering performance.

Home Grown Gator
    Participant

I have a unnamed source at the SEC Office that denies that any exemption for Kelly to Cooach in conference has been requested

ProveMeWrong
    Participant

Please let this unreliable thread be true!!!!!

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Kelly can coach – no doubt. But can he recruit the state of Florida? With the talent gap we now have from McElTrainWrecks horrid recruiting, we cannot take a chance on another coach who can’t recruit.

ProveMeWrong
    Participant

I bet the farm on YES.
    Every kid will want a piece of Coach Kelly. McElwain isn’t even close to being in the same arena. Kelly would immediately be knighted Prince of Coaches of the SEC behind Saban.

ProveMeWrong
    Participant

9-3 worst case scenario year 1

mkfgator
    Participant

Chip Kelly is obviously a proven winner and successful offensive minded coach. He would be great here. I think , if true, a home run. But there are many potential homers out there, so we’ll see. I would not get too caught up in this rumor . However, I will say the timing of this rumor with Tenn’s firing of Jones is interesting.

jdh5484
    Participant

jdh5484
    Participant

fourforgator
    Participant

If we sign Kelly I believe we can flip Justin Fields with no problem.

ProveMeWrong
    Participant

If Kelly is signed all the kids will come running….are you kidding me! This class will end up with another Matt Corral and 3 5-star WRs. The defense will reload. It would be a program changer.

To be perfectly honest, why is everybody willing to give their left nut to get Kelly? Sure, he strut his stuff at Oregon, after seemingly holding every asst coaching job at powerhouse New Hampshire, then got the Ducks 3 years of probation then abandoned his team for the NFL (where he failed miserably), before feeling the sting of sanctions. 11 players arrested on his watch (matters cuz a lot on these boards think the HC creates a ‘culture’ that allows players to commit crimes). Again, great run at Oregon but career as head coach not enough to swoon at the very mention of his name.
    Funny how I’ve heard his name bantered around as a good candidate for the Tenn job already…Florida…not so much.

ProveMeWrong
    Participant

Like Hugh Freeze? Jimbo? Urban? Butch? You think others haven;t done it or just haven’t been caught? Why does Florida have to always be a pedigree above winning? Kelly is a proven winner. Mac was never proven except for his limited tenure under Saban… Muschamp>Mac. The program needs a playcaller. Innovative. Proven. Coach Kelly is on record for not liking to recruit or attend booster meetings? What big time coach likes that? Recruiting under Kelly will be automatic. Just like when Urban was here and cared about the job. Or when Spurrier was here throwing the ball downfield.

ProveMeWrong
    Participant

Quit thinking like FOLEY

mtn2top
    Participant

Many of the Florida fan base have become win at all costs. This is the mentality that keeps resetting the program, was every five, now every two and a half years.

Mentions of Kelly and Kiffin as the Gators head coach makes my skin crawl. I’m with you on this one Narcoossee.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

I think Dooley is spot-on. We don’t need another bad fit Like McElwain:

The Back Nine: Here’s the thing about Kelly to Florida

mkfgator
    Participant

I respect where folks are coming from re upside and downside of Kelly. We all want what is best for the team and school. But there are some coaches who have clearer evidence of character issues than others. Some are open books, perhaps like Petrino. Others may be more wolves in sheep’s clothing, like Mac. I don’t know. It is a dangerous business to forecast human behavior.From everything I’ve read on Kelly, he is no different than any other coach out there. His NCAA violation was in the past. He learned from it. And Florida is the last place where he would be able to do that again. It was nothing compared to what many other schools have done. He seems to be a guy with a great love for coaching. He loves to come up with schemes to defeat the other guy. He is innovative and has been consistently successful as a coach, even going to the playoffs his first year in the pros after winning 10 games. His offenses have worked. He failed as a GM and he is not going to be the AD here, and I think based on his previous experience, that is the last thing he would want to be. No coach not named Zook loves recruiting but recruiting in Fla is a hell of a lot different than recruiting in Oregon. Spurrier and Meyer , our two best coaches to date, were not exactly in love with booster tours either, but I think Kelly would be welcomed with open arms. The bottom line is the best thing for the school is to get someone like him as a coach. I know he has earned his reputation as a coach. The AD will vet him to death and if he says “yes”, who are any of us to judge, especially since we have one tenth of the information Mr. Stricklin has. Kiffen is a no brainer. And he will not be the next coach at Florida. Whoever is pushing that is someone who just bought his daughter a ticket to a Mylie Cyrus concert.

ProveMeWrong
    Participant

Just FYI… Dooley is never spot on. Talk about needing change. Nothing personal. Rotate him into being in charge of the Classifieds section or something.

gator67
    Participant

I’m not sure what to think about Kelly. I am very concerned about his past history with the NCAA, and would not want to see anyone coaching the Gators who took them in the direction of violating NCAA rules. Even those not concerned about the ethics should worry about the impact on the program if sanctions were imposed yet again. On the other hand, he does seem to be a genius in what he does (maybe the closest thing to SOS we’ve seen since his heyday). He could revive the fortunes of UF football quickly, I suspect.

I am willing to trust Stricklin and the UAA to vet him properly before they hire him, if they do. So I will support him fully if that happens and hope the Gators are soon competing for a national championship.

rll
      Participant

Yes, drooly can be in charge of the lost and found articles!!!!!

gator_tom
    Participant

His show clause was pretty weak. He wasn’t alleged to have really done anything wrong. The recruiting service he hired to recruit for the Duck DID do something wrong. I don’t think it is a big deal and our compliance department at UF is strong.

alohakid
    Participant

This doooley girl sounds like a tranny….

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

I’m starting to get onboard witn this. I still think Strong is the best option when you factor in how well he’d recruit at florida. But I think we would have a winning program with Kelly. One that would be DAMN FUN to watch. After all these years of miserably unwatchable offense. We’d have an offense that could light it up.

A pro-style offense requires lots of raw power. This comes in the form of big, strong 5-star linemen, TEs and RBs. Bama has plenty of those 5-star guys. That’s why Bama’s offense is so successful.

Florida, on the other hand, tends to recruit lots of fast, agile 4-star guys. Kelly’s offense is buiit on speed and agility. Essentially, it converts speed and agility into power. That is a match made in heaven for UF.

Plus, if Kelly starts winning at UF, I think it would be unlikely he would bolt to the NFL again. His offense is perfectly suited for the college game. So we’d probably have good long-term coaching stability. And that would boost our recruiting right there.

If they bring in Kelly, I’m on board. Especially if he keeps Shannon who recruits defensive players very well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekf3RGWwqMQ

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.