Death Threats?!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

gator67
    Participant

Some “fans” are apparently out of control. This is a game. No fans are hurt or helped in any way (other than their emotional states) by what happens on the field. Perhaps those who spew vitriol might also want to show that they recognize that we are talking about real people, not pawns who exist for our amusement.

I’m not blaming the critics for the crazies, but I do think that the tone of some attacks has been over the top and contributes to a hostile atmosphere that is no help to anyone. Anyone who thinks that such things contribute in any way to better results is not thinking rationally.

net0638
    Participant

I am not saying I do not believe coach but this is the age of the troll. Anyone can troll up some controversy. Also, he is not the person to break something like this so it has the feel as if he wants to relieve some pressure. This is a university issue and coach overstepped his bounds on this.

jdh5484
    Participant

Gators93
    Participant

Honestly, what the heck is wrong with some people. What kind of person threatens an 18, 19 year old kid for losing a football game? Did they ever think that kids are not going to want to play at Florida if they perceive it as a hostile environment. It’s just a game.

mtn2top
    Participant

All schools and teams have extreme fans. This border rivalry has deep and bitter roots.

No amount of money can compensate someone adequately for being threatened, or having their family threatened with violence, injury and death. I don’t know the details in this incident but all Gators need to rally around the university, team and coach.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

I am troubled by the number of negative posts on each article on Gatorsports.com since they have switched to the new system. Under the new system, it a lot easier for trolls to be anonymous and post at will. A Mike Winter could easily make as many posts as he wants all under a different name. All it takes to post is a fake email address and a made up user name. It’s obvious the moderator on this site is letting everything go. Under the old system, there were a lot less posts. Yes, it was still possible to create an account and troll under the old system but it took more steps and required a Facebook account for verification. The editors of Gatorsports have essentially gotten rid of what little security system they had in return for more (negative) posts on their articles. I think it encourages trolls to come and create a sense of havoc on this site.

net0638
    Participant

How do you know this was even Gator fans that did this ???? Also, why was our coach breaking this or at least espn reported he did. He should have reported to University & let them handle it.

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

This is much ado about nothing, a tempest in a teapot. Nobody has ever been killed or ever will ever be killed because of any fan’s obsessive allegiance to their particular college football team.

It’s just a game played by college kids from 18 to 21 years old hardly a motivation for homicide.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

”I think the majority of Gators are definitely disappointed, but have a good grounded perspective. In any situation in life, the people that are on the fringes or say the most ridiculous things get all the press. I’d rather focus on all the good Gators out there that love their Gators, but are just a little disappointed.”
    ~Danny Wonderful …right on the numbers, yet again! Go Gators!

net0638
    Participant

It sure is funny how college coaches speak in riddles in regards to the internals of the program yet, coach was so forthcoming on something of this manner. Half the time I can not even understand his response to questions asked to him. However on this, he was so clear, willing, and matter of fact …. Which he usually loves to say he can not talk about something.

gator67
    Participant

His willingness to mention this in public but not be more forthcoming, even with the UAA, is a puzzler. I can imagine some scenarios in which he might not want to say more, even to authorities, but those are also situations in which I would think he wouldn’t mention it in a public setting. It is starting to look like a ripple that soon disappears. Maybe he let it slip and then regretted doing so. We may never know.

mtn2top
    Participant

Have you considered that extreme threats and communications to public people like Coach Mac and our players is barely news? People have always thought and said these kind of things. With the internet it is publicized quickly, widely and usually anonymously.

The issue is personal accountability for the things we say and write. When it comes to the safety of all the many people associated with UF, there should be zero tolerance for any threats of violence.

I agree about the ease of getting an account and posting on this new forum. There’s one or two people working multiple accounts. We’ve always had neGators, sunshine pumpers and everything in between. There’s people with ill intentions toward the Gainesville Sun and the Gator Nation that find pleasure in being disruptive on this site.

This is a Gator fan site. No one should be able to start an account named Swamp Donkey with a picture of SOS. That’s where a moderator just says no.

mkfgator
    Participant

I personally think Coach is doing a good job under the circumstances. Since he has been here he has had to deal with transfers, suspensions, players leaving early, injuries, investigations, etc. That’s besides Muschamp’s legacy. At the same time, he has not shown an ability to adapt. Nuss did not even have a good record before coming to Fla. I love the recruiting of this group, which is doing a great job this year. I think most fans are nut jobs, including myself, because we have a tendency to commit more sins during football season than other times of the year. At the same time, Fla fans are used to success and we shouldn’t apologize about that. Mac didn’t when he took the job. I just think he is feeling the pressure and it is getting to him. I think he wants out and exaggerated the death threat stuff to justify his feelings.These threats are not real in my opinion. If they were , he would have a duty to report them to the authorities. It is not just about himself and his family. It includes his players, according to his statement. That is irresponsible to not let the authorities know. It is one thing if you don’t care about yourself, but he is entrusted with the care of his players. That’s why I don’t believe these “threats”. I don’t think Coach is the type of person who would allow his players to be unprotected. It may also be a way of firing up his team for the Ga game by creating an “us against them” mentality. My problem, though, is the “them” should be Ga , not us.

net0638
    Participant

Something does not seem right about the fact that you can make a statement like this and say nothing more. I said it way earlier in this post before it was broke in todays article about the details. I do not have to say it, sounds like coach wishes he would have kept this to himself or turned over to the University as he should have to begin with…

net0638
    Participant

By the way, coach is a lil off in his presser when he takes a dig at freedom of speech. He says :

” Pretty good lesson for the way things are. You know, there is allot of hate in this world and uh, allot of anger, and uh, yet its freedom to show it”

People are going to take shots at him and that’s the nature of college football. Threaten one’s life is against the law. Yes people are free to tell him he sucks, he is fat, or we don’t want a political coach….. Death threats and freedom of speech are two different things. It is implied that freedom of speech does not threaten one’s life. All this coupled with his hush hush after the fact attitude has me wondering the context in which he did not like what he heard from fans or trolling fans. Furthermore supporting why he does not want to discuss further. Most importantly, Coach need not moralize us on freedom of speech.

gator67
    Participant

I did not take Mac’s comment as moralizing, but the point that threatening to kill someone is not protected by free speech is a good one. I am not sure that one could successfully prosecute such a threat if it were not also connected with an imminent possibility of action, but he still conceded too much there. His most recent comments make it clear that he is sorry that he said anything about it. He now admits that he did what he advises his players not to do: let such distractions get under his skin and take his focus away from the task at hand. My current guess is that some threats were, for whatever reason, working on his mind as he went in to talk to the press, and he spoke about it against what I suspect was his better judgment. But since none of us have ever done such a thing, we should be sure to censure him mercilessly.

mtn2top
    Participant

It is a sad state of affairs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.