Dan Mullen to Become Florida's Next Coach?

This topic contains 49 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Al Bundy 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

gator67
    Participant

Several places are reporting that Mullen is now considering an offer from Florida and will probably decide before the end of the day. He was not one of my top four choices, but I can see the reasoning here. In any case, I will be supporting the Gators whoever becomes their head coach!

gator67
    Participant

For what it’s worth, Andrew Spivey tweeted that Corral likes Mullen.

Gators93
    Participant

Mullins would have been near the bottom of my list, but still on the list. He makes me nervous, but at least we know he can coach in the SEC.

gator67
    Participant

nopriors
    Participant

Great choice. I was hoping for Frost but Mullen is proven and for some reason I thought he didn’t want to come here. Maybe he’ll bring some recruits and some transfers. The last remaining fighters on the team need some support. Go Gators

mtn2top
    Participant

Oh wow, shocking news! What a surprise! Not. Nothing like taking the long way to reach the same place. What’s Stricklin been doing for the last month?

I think Dan Mullen will do a great job for the Gators.

Al Bundy
    Participant

It appears no real home run hire is willing to take a chance on UF as long as our facilities are bottom of the barrel in the SEC. I suppose Mullen is as good of a placeholder as anyone until we get caught up, IF we even bother trying to catch up. I’m not convinced our UAA even cares about football anymore.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

Dude!!! Enough about the GD facilities!!! The plans and schedules are set. We’ll have facilities equal to or better than our rivals soon enough.

Stop harping on past negatives and let’s move into the future and show coach Mullen some support.

GO GATORS!!!

Ol’time Gator
    Participant

Looks like the new AD choked on his first hire! Other than he worked with Mullen before what attributes does he bring….He is certainly not an offensive minded coach, he is a lousy recruiter, and on a personal basis a complete jerk! Other than being a friend of AD Scott Stricklin he has nothing we need. Apparently Scott lied when he said he was going to bring in someone to fire up the offense…watch the 2018 recruits flee the scene!

gator67
      Participant

Andrew Spivey of Gator Country said that Corral liked Mullen, and Corral tweeted something that sounded affirmative regarding the hire. Jacob Copeland tweeted something very positive about him. Just because you don’t like him, don’t assume the recruits feel the same.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

Dead wrong about his recruiting. MSU’s best recruiting era was under Mullen. Any other nonsense you want to spew?

Black Dahlia
    Participant

I am so excited. This is exactly what we need, a guy with a 69-46 record at MSU who batted slightly less than .500 in the SEC. Consistent 8-win seasons and bowl appearances.

We will surely be a DYNASTY now. We will never lose to a lesser opponent again.

Please pass the Kool Aid in celebration. GO GATORS!

gator67
      Participant

Having a hard time with context?

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

So much football ignorance on this thread. Mullen led MSU’s best Era in decades. He recruited well at a place that was historically hard to recruit for. And he won at a place that did not win before.

Their are a lot of heads up rectums on this thread.

gator67
    Participant

Those who are so opposed to Mullen could have an interesting debate with Tim Tebow: https://www.seccountry.com/florida/tim-tebow-thrilled-florida-signing-dan-mullen

Black Dahlia
      Participant

I’m not having a hard time with context, I’m having a hard time with hiring a potential Zook 4.0. If he had that kind of success with MSU, how well can we expect him to do with a lesser team (UF, yeah, I said it)? By recruiting? There are four, maybe five, universities in Florida that can now have a better recruiting argument than the Gators.

As a Gator fan and alumnus I sincerely hope I get to eat my words a season or three down the road. But if we’re still stewing in mediocrity four or more seasons down the road I may just give up on UF football entirely. And so will many other fans.

mtn2top
    Participant

Mullen Support

Take your pick. Every Gator of note supports the Mullen hire.

Al Bundy
    Participant

It’s pretty sad when expectations at UF have gone so low people are happy about hiring Mullen. Says a bunch imo. Yeah, we won’t lose to teams we shouldn’t lose to under Mullen. Might even win a game or two we probably shouldn’t, but he’s no championship HC imo. I thought SOS and Meyer got rid of the old “better luck next year” mantra…

mtn2top
    Participant

To the contrary Bundy. Everyone acknowledges high expectations, especially Mullen. He’s young enough to still have the drive it takes to meet those expectations. He has experience and a winning history here.

A lot of people were disappointed when Mullen wasn’t hired for the last UF opening, including Mullen.

Hiring Mullen makes complete sense on every level. Chasing Kelly did not.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

As far as Frost goes, yes, he probably would have been a better hire if you think short-term. But he probably would not have stayed at UF for more than 5 years before heading to Lincoln.

Mullen will be successful at UF and he’s almost certainly not going anywhere else. So our program would have coaching stability for the first time since SOS. Make no mistake, FSU’s stability and our complete lack thereof is a huge reason why they are smoking us in February.

nopriors
      Participant

I think Mullen brings stability and recruits. I just have a feeling Frost might stay at UCF.

NotQyteNeo
        Participant

I think – no matter what their official statements are – there’s one and only one candidate for the the Nebraska job. If Frost was dead-set on staying at UCF next year, then Nebraska would have kept Riley for one more year. I’d bet they’ll announce Frost as their new HC after the AAC title game.

To be honest – I’ll be happy for Nebraska fans. They have suffered though mediocrity longer than we have.

nopriors
          Participant

It’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out. It is still strange to me that the Cornhuskers are in the Big Ten. Good luck to both of them.

gator67
    Participant

My initial reaction when I saw people suggesting that Mullen would be a good hire was to think, “Meh.” But in part this is because there is something about him that seemed to rub me the wrong way — can’t say exactly why. A little more thought has led me to think that he could be a very good choice, however. In addition to the things that have been said, it is clear to me that his teams are as tough as nails — on offense as well as defense. The Gators could use more toughness on offense. I think we should get ready for an OL with an attitude.

Al Bundy
    Participant

@gator67 I’d settle for an OL period. That’d be a lot better than the turnstiles we’ve had around here the last few years.

SoCalGator83
    Participant

I’m having a hard time understanding the knocks against Dan Mullen. The last time Florida was relevant was when Mullen was the OC. He took over a Miss. State program and turned it around competing against the best division in the SEC. if you look at his record vs. Florida since 2010 he was 64-39 compared to Florida at 60-41. His teams averaged 31 points and 426 yards. Florida averaged 25 points and 339 yards of offense. His defense surrendered 23 points compared to Florida’s 20 points. His teams were ranked in the top 25 twice compared to Florida three. That’s with recruiting lesser talent and lower ranked recruiting classes. He’s proven he can develop QB’s. Stop whining about Kelly and Frost. Those guys were never coming to Gainesville.

Threadkiller
    Participant

He wasn’t my first choice, and I’m a little surprised at the move. But we need a spread guy to have a chance at getting past Bama (and Georgia now too). I hope it works.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

I believe Scott Frost could’ve been more motivated to stay in-state. And Memphis’ Coach is going to play Scott Frost for their league championship this Saturday, and he has a wide-open offense, too. But he was ”too risky” for U.F., I presume.
    But, no risk, no reward! Florida took a risk on Steve Spurrier & a slightly risky one with Urban Meyer, and was rewarded big time for it. Safe choice with Dan Mullen.
    Florida will go 7-5 next year in 2018, 8-4 in 2019 (Mullen’s average at M.S.U.), and 2nd in the S.E.C. East to U.G.A for the next few years with Coach Dan Mullen, unfortunately.
    Anything more than that will ”convert me” though. Win the East from U.G.A., and I’ll be all in! I just don’t see it happening anytime soon, sadly… and honestly.
    U.F. has given up on anything ”too risky”, but will pay Mac and Muschamp, literally, millions in buyouts to maintain mediocrity? Sad day for me, but Coach Dan Mullen controls his own destiny now! Make me a ”believer”… like Spurrier did!

gator67
      Participant

Reports by reputable sites (including ESPN) were that Frost refused to interview with Florida. He has apparently already decided to go to Nebraska — or possibly stay where he is. My guess is Nebraska.

mkfgator
    Participant

Amazing. I have been a fan for 50 years. I wonder why we don’t hire fans as coaches, since we know better than anyone else. Fans also make the best QB’s , especially on Monday. Why should Florida get a “home run” hire? All any coach has to do to get a pulse on how unreasonable we are as a fan base is to read any Gator message board. We know everything and Scott Stricklin, the players, coaches, know nothing. The truth is we are one of the most arrogant fan bases out there. You would think 8 years of mediocrity would have humbled us a bit. We fans act like we are more deserving of a win by 50 points than the damn players. Well it’s about them, not us–unless we choose to join them. Mullen was not my first choice, but then again, I don’t know jack sh%$. I know this: the last time we had an offense, Mullen was our coordinator; the last time we won an SEC championship, Mullen was our coordinator; the last time we won a NC, Mullen was our coordinator. We’re damn lucky he came back , instead of dreaming about “names” like the geniuses up in Tenn. Dan Mullen chose us, so I choose him. Welcome back Coach Mullen and Gator nation is invested with you in OUR team!

SoCalGator83
      Participant

Exactly my point. It’s this same arrogance with people slamming Mullen because he didn’t win big at Miss St. Well Mullen did a heck of job at Miss St. given the disadvantages of being in Starkville. His average recruiting class ranking was 31st. Compare that to UF’s average recruiting class being 10th. Mullen has done more with less. There’s no denying the SEC West is the stronger division and has been for years. If you put Florida in the West, their W-L record would be worse with zero division titles.

nopriors
      Participant

You need to keep in perspective the irrelevance of this little forum. You have maybe 3 dozen or so people commenting here regularly and one third of them are bummers. One of my favorite things to do after any big game in the country is go to the losers forum immediately after the game. Trust me they are all the same and just hysterical. Go to the Buckeye forum after they lose and see what they say about Meyer. There are people calling for Saban’s head after Saturday. The one exception which is really creepy is the Vol fans.

Al Bundy
    Participant

Ok, you guys and the boys on Gators Breakdown last night have convinced me to relax and see what Cousin Eddie can do before bringing out the pitchforks and torches. We’ll see I guess. It can’t be any worse than the last 8 years.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

By MSU standards, Mullen recruited VERY well. Better than any MSU coach for decades. I don’t expect much for the 2018 class. But I think we will pull in top 10 classes with Mullen most years. And we certainly know he knows how to coach them.

Guys(Gals) – He’s only 45 and was – I believe – the 2nd longest tenured coach in the SEC after Saban. Youth and a lot of SEC coaching experience – that’s an awesome combination. Combine that with the facilities upgrades we have scheduled, and the future potentially looks very bright for Gator Football.

Welcome Coach Mullen. Thank you for coming back to UF. GO GATORS!!!

redhatgator
    Participant

All,
    I’m so sick of seeing all of the hate for this hire. WAKE UP GATORNATION! Mullen was the perfect hire! Why you ask?
    1. HE WON HERE
    2. HE WON AT MS STATE
    3. HE DEVELOPS PLAYERS
    4. HE HAS SUCCEEEDED IN THE SEC AT A GARBAGE PROGRAM
    5. HE CAN RECRUIT TALENT, AND RECRUITS WANT TO PLAY FOR HIM

For crying out loud… I’m amazed any coach would want to come back here with the kind of retard fans we have. Coach Mullen was not only a safe bet, but the one and only bet that should have been on the table from the start. Sure, Kelly is a splash hire… Frost would have been as well. But neither of them won in the SEC, and the latter (FROST) prob wouldn’t have stuck around if he did win for long.
    We have a chance to collectively get behind our new HBC and show him that GATORNATION is really great. We def have to change our image, and change it fast. Remember, happy wife = happy life, and if Mrs Mullen starts to feel like she did while she was here before, we’ll be starting another coaching search really soon. Bottom line is that Mullen is a proven winner. Both here at UF and at MSU (btw, nobody wins at that dump). Open your eyes and be grateful that he CHOSE TO ACCEPT THIS JOB! GO GATORS!

Gators93
    Participant

Anyone who points to his overall record, sec record, or top-25 record at Mississippi State over the last 9 years is too young to remember what Mississippi State was before he got there. He had a better record over that time frame than the Gators. What do you think the Gators record would have been if they played in the SEC West?

redhatgator
    Participant

Gators93,
    You hit the nail on the head. What he was able to do in the SEC west, at MSU, should have been more then enough to validate this being a GREAT hire. When this “search” started, my top 3 list was:
    1. Mullen (we got him!)
    2. Gundy
    3. Patterson (unlikely)

Why people ask? Because they all won at places where winning was not the norm before their arrival. Also, they recruited VERY WELL at those schools.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

gator67
    Participant

I missed the first few minutes of his first press conference, but what I watched was impressive. He is articulate, confident, and all-in with the Gators. I don’t know whether he will prove to be a home-run hire, but he knocked this one out of the park.

Gators93
    Participant

Dan Mullen was very impressive in his first presser. He said all the right things. He looked confident and committed. He was third of three on my list of candidates after Kelly and Frost, so I am happy. The more I think about it, the more I think he is a better fit than those other two, who would have probably had an eye elsewhere. Yeah, Mullen makes me nervous, but so would every other coach. That’s what happens when you’ve been bad for the last decade. I think we need to all get 100% behind our new coach.

nopriors
      Participant

I really liked what he said about using SOS as a resource and how grateful he was to know that is available. I just hope Spurrier doesn’t beat him real bad in golf and ruin everything.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

We all need to keep expectations reasonable these first couple years. But DAMN!!! – I’m excited to be a Gator for the first time since 2009!

Mullen Press Conference

mtn2top
    Participant

Still have doubts about the hire?

Go check out the Chip Kelly presser for UCLA. What a contrast in every way. We got the right guy and coach in Mullen.

The one thing this team needs right now is stability. Dan Mullen provides a direct link and re-connection to Gator greatness. For many different reasons, he’s going to be here for a while. The lack of continuity in coaching, especially offense has really crippled this program. Mullen is clearly the best coach out there to stabilize UF football.

Its not going to be easy, starting with salvaging this recruiting class.

Gators93
      Participant

Even if he got the Florida job, my guess is the first chance a job he wanted on the west coast (like USC) or the NFL opened up, Kelly would be gone. We didn’t need someone like that. We needed a guy that wants to coach at Florida and appreciates our brand. I think we got that in Mullen. There are no guarantees. Mullen succeeding here is not a sure thing, but neither is any other coach. There is no guarantee Kelly will succeed at UCLA. You can only evaluate with the information you have at the moment. And what it tells me is Mullen is the right man for the job.

BTW, reading the boards at Gator Chatter is an embarrassment. Some of those folks need to go root for Tennessee.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

I have no doubt that Kelly will be very successful at UCLA, the school and coach are a good fit for each other.

Am I the only one seeing a lot of “good alignment” in recent years. Richt was probably never a real good fit at UGA, but he went to UM, and that is a winning combination. Then you get Smart at UGA – also a natural fit. Now we have Mullen at Florida, Kelly at UCLA, and – I am 99% sure – Frost at Nebraska. And Muschamp is doing pretty-well at SC. Stoops at Kentucky, Mustain at Auburn, etc. There are a lot of openings out there, and obviously not all of them will find their natural fits.

But, I am optimistic that at least in the SEC and southeast in general, we’re getting more positive alignment. Collectively, these programs should put a steady dent in the Bama recruiting juggernaut. Has it been that Saban was so great or that he is really good and surrounded by a lot of bad?

Gators93
        Participant

I personally like Muschamp and think he’s a heck of a defensive coordinator, but I don’t think he’s a head coach. They should have whooped us and Tennessee this year and barely beat both. They are clearly way below state rival Clemson. Spurrier own Dabo when he was there. If you watch their games, still too conservative on offense and bad decision making. He’s alright at SC if their expectations are to win 7-8 games a year and make a bowl.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Just took a look at MSU’s all-time bowl record. Jaw-dropping stats IMO:
    20 total bowl trips(1st = 1936) – 7 under Mullen(21 and 8 if you count 2017). So MSU had 13 in about 105-110 years. Mullen had 7 in 8 years.
    12 total bowl wins(1st = 1940) – 5 under Mullen. MSU: 7 in 105-110 years. Mullen 5 in 8 years.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

With the turmoil in Talibanhassee and (to a lesser degree) the dumpster fire in Knoxville, the timing of bringing in Mullen is getting better and better. I’m thinking it’s time for Mullen and Co to start flipping some guys. I honestly think the misery years are finally behind us. It’s a great time to be a Gator!!

Al Bundy
    Participant

Depending on our Scholly situation, it’d be nice to see Mullen take advantage of the turmoil. We’ll see how he plays his hand in all this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.