CFP thoughts

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Black Dahlia 5 days, 3 hours ago.

• Author

redhatgator
    Participant

So the “final Four” are set and the whiners are out in full force. Danny Kanell (who just loves the SEC) needed a tissue after all of the crying about how little the SEC teams deserved to be where they are (yes, he went after UGA as well). Fact of the matter is OSU has (historically) gotten more chances & passes then perhaps any other school (Bama included) to get a shot at the NC game. Is a it a perfect system? Heck no… There should be at least an 8 team playoff, if not 12. However, until the NCAA morons get to this point, were stuck with what we have, and in my eyes, they got it right. OSU was a two loss team that lost to Iowa. Bama was a one loss team. UGA was a one loss team. Clemson was a one loss team. (theme developing). In other words, shut up Big 10 fans. Grab a tissue and wait till next year. I love seeing Urban Cryer not get what he wants.

CROCS
    Participant

They got it right Best 4 teams are in. You can argue ’till the cows come home (or elephants in this case) and it doesn’t matter. Too bad Urbs. Beat Iowa next time!

mtn2top
    Participant

It’s a good set of teams but Alabama was rewarded for playing a weak schedule.

Gators93
    Participant

Alabama played FSU in week 1. They were ranked third heading into the season and are a perennial power house. You can’t fault their scheduling. It’s not their fault they caught FSU in their one down year in a decade. I don’t like Alabama. I don’t like Saban. But except for one game on the road against their biggest rival in a game that was close until the 4th quarter. They dominated the SEC West, which is the hardest division in the country. Ohio state lost two games. They got destroyed in both of them, by Oklahoma and a below average Iowa team. They got dominated all 4 quarters. I have little doubt that healthy Alabama would wipe the floor with OSU. I think the committee got it right. That being said, they should expand to 8 teams – 5 conference winner and 3 at large.

mtn2top
      Participant

I would completely agree with you ’93 except two SEC teams are in. By going through the conference title, Georgia has the better standing any way you want to look at it.

A big part of contending for a national championship is winning the late season big games. It wasn’t that close in the Iron Bowl. How strong was the SEC West division? Georgia won the title in a convincing manner.

The reason for a playoff was to get away from the beauty pageant selection of the final teams. Alabama is brimming with talent, but has not played to their potential.

SoCalGator83
    Participant

Too bad Auburn didn’t beat Georgia. And too bad Ohio State didn’t trounce Wisconsin with another 59-0 beat down. There’s a good chance you would have been looking at two 2-loss teams in the play-offs and Alabama left out of the picture. The push for an 8-team playoff would have materialized much sooner. And speaking of sooner as in Sooners – I’m rooting big time for Oklahoma to beat the dog out of Georgia.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

The bottom line is the Playoff Committee is ”devaluing the Conf. Championships”. The Playoff Committee devalued the Big 10 Championship last year, and they devalued the S.E.C. Conf. Championship this year. And all those college football fans clamoring for an ”8 team playoff”, well, Saturday WAS YOUR ”8 TEAM PLAYOFF”!
    #1 Clemson played #7 Miami. #3 Oklahoma played #11 T.C.U., while #6 Georgia played #2 Auburn. Ohio State at #8 could have beat down #4 Wisconsin to make their case to be in the playoffs, but didn’t! The Tide at #5 was the only team NOT playing and STILL BENEFITED FROM THIS COMMITTEE. And that is the TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE (like Ohio State last year). No division title, no conference title, and the Tide is in anyway? That’s a joke… and I live in and love the S.E.C.!

SoCalGator83
    Participant

In a 4 team play-off teams that lose 2 games and win conference championships devalue themselves.

rll
    Participant

The next best outcome after a UF WIN, is a GA or Urban Meyer coached team loss!!!!

Black Dahlia
    Participant

The fourth spot should have gone to undefeated UCF, period. Yes, they played a weak schedule but so did the team who got the fourth spot. Would they win? Highly unlikely. But they deserve a chance – they are in the same division as the teams who made it. As it stands, the Power Five conferences are a de facto division above FBS (or whatever they’re calling 1-A today).

Gators93
      Participant

I watched UCF vs USF and UCF vs Memphis. It was like watching the Globetrotters vs the Generals. Extremely entertaining, but not serious college football. Maybe in an 8 team playoff they would be worthy of the 8th spot.

SoCalGator83
    Participant

I would have to disagree about UCF. Weaker opponents, not a Power 5.
    ESPN’s FPI has Alabama #1, UCF #21.

Black Dahlia
      Participant

Yeah, right behind bowl-bound FSU. You buy into that?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.