2019 Predictions Now

This topic contains 26 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Gator-6 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Gator-6
    Participant

Neil Shulman recently published his “way too early” 2019 prediction for the Florida Gators on an alternate site (not to be confused with the dreaded, much maligned and oft reviled alternate facts) in which he declared Dan Mullen and company will post another regular season record of 9-3. He breaks it down thusly:
    Miami W by 24
    Tenn-Martin W by 31
    Kentucky W by 20
    Tennessee W by 28
    Towson State W by 34
    rAubun L by 3
    LSU L by 13
    S. Carolina W by 6
    Georgia L by 7
    Vandy W by 1
    Mizzou W by 17
    FSU W by 25

I think he’s full of beans, that the minimum we do is 10-2, and that we just might surprise all the experts by going 11-1 or 12-0. What do you think at this point in time?

StLGator
    Participant

Don’t tell me. Let me guess. He also predicted that Clemson will beat Alabama for the NC, with Notre Dame also making the playoff and Ohio State replacing Oklahoma as the 4th place finisher for a “change of pace from 2018.”

You can count on media people to regurgitate the prior season’s finish as their next season’s forecast. How unimaginative. I’ll bet he didn’t predict the Gators’ 9-3 finish before last season!

Reality is that another 9-3 finish for the Gators in 2019 IS a “safe” prediction. Their OL is turning over 4 of 5. Their QB is less than stellar and their 2019 schedule is not as favorable as 2018’s.

That said, the single biggest variable not easily accounted for is a 2nd year of experience for Gator players under the Mullen/Savage system. They lost the Kentucky and Mizzou games last year due to lack of discipline and commitment to that system. The sharp turnaround in the USCe game was their final buy-in. How that commitment carries over into 2019 will tell whether they improve on last season’s finish. I believe they will.

Here’s a wild prediction for you 6: Emory Jones will beat Feleipe Franks out during fall practice and the Gators will get off to a fast start, going 6-0 through the Auburn game and setting up an epic game vs. LSU in Baton Rouge. Win that game and the Gators will enter the Cocktail Party undefeated. Beat the Dawgs in that game and the Gators win the SEC East, going no worse than 11-1. Win both of those games and the Gators will land a playoff spot in 2019, regardless of the outcome of the big game in Atlanta.

What happens in the SEC Championship will depend on how ready the Gator D will be to slow down Tua and his stable of receivers the way Clemson did. I have no doubt the Gator O will score on Alabama’s D.

Go Gators!!!

SpringHillPhil
    Participant

Gotta love these February football predictions, what with no spring practice, summer arrests and two-a-days happening for months and months and months. Not to mention in-season injuries and such happening to teams or perhaps a hurricane causing the cancellation of the Hurricane game. Or the rescheduling of it.

SpringHillPhil
    Participant

btw, Punxatawney Phil, a distant cousin, today predicted an early spring. Let’s see how that goes.

StLGator
      Participant

Posts like yours Phil are the reason Mr. Shulman and others in the media make such predictable predictions every year. Why take a chance on making “wild” forecasts now that they have such little value IF they’re just going to get beat up by the readers for making them.

The ONLY purpose of these “way too early” predictions is to have some fun discussing college football at a time when not much is happening in that sport. It’s not like we’re forecasting what the climate will do 50 years from now and seriously demanding folks change the way they live their lives today as a result of our silly forecast!

Your concerns about the future are obvious Phil. However, if you make an honest assessment of the past 20 football seasons, you’ll see that the issues you’ve raised have rarely had a material impact on how those seasons unfolded. And when they have, their effects have been “unpredictable” at best. I’ll bet LSU’s AD is STILL regretting taking advantage of the unfortunate Hurricane Matthew postponement to force the 2016 Gator game to be played in Baton Rouge.

Throw obvious concerns aside and let’s just have some fun with this!

Go Gators!!!

CO Jones
        Participant

Come on StL, are you a flat Earth guy? You now I have some carbon credits I got from the inventor of the internet for sale right now, an easy way for you not to change anything, just pay up and keep doing what you’re doing. I sold some to Avella down in Baton Rouge so he’s now ready for the next hurricane.

Gator-6
          Participant

Hey CO, I’m a flat earth guy and not only that, but I believe Donald Trump was born in South Carolina. Which means his presidency is basically fraudulent, not being an American citizen and all. But I’d still like to get in on some of them carbon credits if you still got any left — last time I bought some air it never showed up.

So what’s your prediction for 2019, or have you gone native and started rootin’ for them damn Hurricanes or sumpin’?

StLGator
          Participant

I have no cash available to buy your carbon credits CO, but I inherited some stock in the Brooklyn Bridge I’d be willing to swap you for them. It should have approximately equal value.

LOL! 🤪

Gator-6
    Participant

You make a good point, Phil — which is, of course, why they’re called “way too early predictions”. This is the time of the year we start doing it anyway, tho, and NSD/O&B are not going to have much realistic influence in that some-but-not-all new recruits will play in the fall and last year’s team is going to be the basic core of the 2019 Gators. I’d like to think that the indiscipline problems we briefly saw leading up to September of last year were an anomaly or carry over from the 2017 culture — I sure hope so anyway — and that global warming won’t cause 20 or 25 Category 5 Hurricanes and put the entire Florida peninsula under water until at least the National Championship game in January, 2020.
    Lets hope that Savage and crew can keep the injuries down this year too — I think his program did have some effect last year.

I learned a long time ago not to rely on your cousin up in Pennsylvania, but if you tell me that the mermaids at Weeki Wachee predicted the same, I’m all in!

Gator65
    Participant

Not sold on LSU and Auburn yet. Both have had way more fluctuations in their game than teams that are going to stay on top. I do think Saban is reworking his staff after getting punched in the mouth. UT is going to be better. Good enough to beat us? Shouldn’t but any team that thinks someone can’t beat them makes that opponent dangerous (Ky last year). As for STL wild prediction I like that scenario. I had thought of that with FF making the start and losing the position somewhere. We are entering year two of an era where the coaching staff is solid and maybe great. (time will tell) We have lost players to graduation and the draft but have depth to replace them. If they gel like they should and we don’t fall to any traps (UT, Missou) and the players stay focused and on mission the other unmentioned variable is injuries. If proper training and coaching and good fortune keeps those low we have a tougher schedule that is as winnable as last season. Those mermaids were the bomb back in the day.

Gator-6
      Participant

65, there is no possible scenario in which Mizzou should have ever beaten us, and no scenario in which they ever should — and I say that with all due deference to our pal, StL. And yet, they have. So your comment with “trap” games bears attention, and it is the only way we lose to anybody in the East this coming year. Except possibly Georgia, and I emphasize the word “possibly”. I do believe Tennessee will be back in due time, but in my estimation they’re still a couple of years away at the minimum.

It’s legit to think that either Auburn or LSU will beat us, tho I don’t think it will be Auburn. The worst we do is split that pair — and depending on how things go for them, I’m not real sure we lose to LSU either. Any road, that’s why I say 10-2 at the worst, 11-1 kind of likely, and 12-0 of course at the best.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

Hey 6, I’ll bite. I think having Miami, Auburn, LSU, and those hated Dawgs on U.F.’s 2019 schedule makes me feel like I’m in high school again… way back in 1985! Where’s a young Michael Jackson, and a healthy Michael J. Fox for that matter? And I would warn Prince and Gainesville born, Tom Petty, about the drug Fentanyl, too. If only!!!

On that note, ”IF ONLY” Florida can beat those teams above, then it will be a very special year for our beloved Florida Gators. I just don’t know the mindset of the young O-line. And oh, those Vols and their young, athletic Q.B. got a whole lot better at the end of last year. So…
    GO Gators!

Gator-6
      Participant

I’m less worried about when the OL gels, but I’m still concerned. That’s going to be the key, I think anyway, to what should be a truly excellent running game and for pass protection (more for FF since he’s biologically slower on the reads, less for Jones who can probably take care of himself and seems quicker on the reads — so far anyway).

GI, I hear you regarding Tennessee and they’re putting together a decent class for 2019 as well. Don’t get me wrong, I like nothing better than beating the hell out of the Vols, but I do respect them — especially Phil Fulmer — and I think Pruitt is a pretty credible head coach too. When all the “gold dust” settles down in Athens, and when Tennessee does get back on their feet, I really think it’s going to revert back to US & THEM in the East.

Pappagator
    Participant

I’m all in on the 10-2, 11-1 scenario for next season, I think with the skill players we have coming back and of course all hinging on Hev’s ability to cobble together a decent to good offensive line unit, that Dan’s offense is going to really take off this coming season. I predict that regardless of who wins out at the QB position ( I am betting on FF holding on to it ) that our offense comes out of the gates hitting on all cylinders like it was at the end of the 18 season and we muscle our way into the 4 team playoff’s this time around. In the meantime, we land Carson Beck, The Bowman kid and several other 5* players and challenge Bammer for the #1 rated class in 2020 to strengthen the foundation of the dynasty that the groundwork was laid out for this season and the string of natties that are coming our way in the 20’s and beyond. How ya liking them apples?

Gator-6
      Participant

I like them apples a whole lot, Pappa! Now all we got to do is live long enough to see it all happen, and we can go to the Happy Hunting Ground as Happy Gators indeed.

StLGator
    Participant

The real test for CDM’s program comes this fall. Last year’s Gators were not expected to do much and were able to “sneak up” on MSU and LSU. They’re not “sneaking up” on anybody this season.

The new Gator OL and D front 7 have to be ready to rumble by the time the Auburn and LSU games roll around. Auburn has to break in a new QB, but returns a monster OL and very solid running game. LSU is LSU along the LOS, with a senior QB, good receivers and top notch DBs. Those 2 games will define our 2019 season because I don’t believe either Miami or Tennessee have the horses to beat us.

Win one of the 2 games vs. the west and the Gators will have a great season this fall. Win BOTH of those games and it may be a special season.

Go Gators!!!

Pappagator
      Participant

You said a mouthful there my friend ! Hanging around long enough to see it come to fruition will be one of the hardest parts.

mveal2006
    Participant

I pretty much agree with shulman, except auburn i see us winning, but im not sure we will beat missouri, they seem to be owning us this entire decade. i see tennessee, fsu and miami as much closer games as well. The OL just doesnt seem like they are championship ready yet, but when they are, look out.

Pappagator
      Participant

Sorry, I meant that comment for 6. Can I blame it on arthritic fingers?

Gator-6
        Participant

I got it, but don’t ever let ’em see you sweat, Pappa. As far as anybody knows, you’re still the 18 year old stud muffin we both still see in the mirror every morning!

kevlevrone
    Participant

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. Thanks for the information.

Gator-6
      Participant

Welcome aboard, Kev……a lot more info after the O&B game, so be sure to post your thoughts there too. You’ll find some very astute and learned comments on here from this bunch of guys.

SparkyGator
        Participant

Welcome aboard Kev. Be careful who you keep company with on this site….there are a couple guys with bad reputations 🤣😂🤣

mtn2top
    Participant

I’m optimistic when it comes to the Gators. Even still, this should be a leap year for the Gator program as Coach Mullen’s system takes hold. Coaching staff is coming back mostly intact which only amplifies the momentum coming into this season.

I agree on the 10-11 wins. If we stay healthy in key positions, and catch a few breaks, it has the potential to be a special season. The border brawl will be THE determining game.

ag8tor
    Participant

It all depends on how fast the O-Line comes together. Don’t see us losing to AU at home. Maybe to LSU there. I think the uga game will be a toss up barring any serious injuries. We should have an offense this year in that game.

cattrick
    Participant

Here are my predictions: FSU will finish in the Top 10. Florida will be 6-6. OH, Wait a minute. I was just regurgitating what Todd Schayes predicted for the 2018 season. I should look at the dates of these predictions before opening my mouth. Just saying, all you guys are right on. These FEARLESS PROGNOSTICATORS who get paid for this just go to last year’s predictions.

Gator-6
      Participant

😜😜
      FEAR THE CHOMP!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.