Car chases, ramming make for busy day for GPD

Published: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.

Car crashes and chases kept Gainesville police moving on Monday, including one near-fatal ramming and a pursuit that ended when a suspect jumped off a roof and knocked himself out.

Fabian Bashawn Jennings kicked off the day by crashing into a light pole around 2:30 a.m. at the University Commons apartment complex after an officer tried to stop him for running a stop sign, according to a Gainesville Police Department report.

Jennings, 22, and his passenger Quinton Dermell Glover, 32, ran from the crash scene at 2601 SW Archer Road and were caught by officers, police said.

Jennings, of 23372 NW 180th Ave., was arrested on a felony charge of fleeing an officer and charges of fleeing the scene of a crash, resisting an officer and driving with a revoked license. He was booked into the Alachua County jail, where he remained Tuesday. Glover was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of resisting an officer.

Roughly 13 hours later, police say Bacari Cameron Daniels intentionally injured his girlfriend by ramming her car with his.

Daniels, 21, met his girlfriend at 400 SE 11th St. to talk, but he became angry and his girlfriend drove off. Daniels began following her in his car, according to a report.

Police said two witnesses followed as Daniels chased the woman through a neighborhood, striking another vehicle. At the roundabout at Northeast Third Avenue and 10th Street, witnesses said Daniels jumped the median and struck her vehicle’s driver-side door at 50-60 mph.

Both vehicles were badly damaged, and both Daniels and the woman were taken to UF Health Shands Hospital. The victim was treated for a fractured pelvis and clavicle, a cut on her left leg, a dislocated shoulder and various scrapes.

Daniels, of 4508 SE Seventh Place, was arrested on charges of attempted murder and resisting arrest. He was booked in the Alachua County jail, where he remained Tuesday on a $77,500 bond.

Around 5 p.m., Michael Todd Dixon, 22, pulled into the Regency Oaks apartment complex while not wearing a seatbelt and left his car. According to a police report, an officer recognized Dixon and knew he didn’t have a driver’s license or registration for the vehicle.

When the officer walked to the front of the vehicle, Dixon got back into his car and started the engine. The officer put his hand on the car’s hood and told Dixon to stop, but Dixon hit the gas and the officer jumped out of the way.

The officer got back into his vehicle and followed Dixon through the complex and onto Southwest 34th Street going north.

Police said Dixon made a U-turn into southbound traffic on Southwest 34th Street and drove through the Shell gas station at Archer Road. The officer didn’t follow him through the intersection to avoid putting other motorists in danger, police said.

After driving over the sidewalk, Dixon resumed heading north until he struck a median, disabling his car.

Officers chased Dixon as he ran into a nearby yard, where he climbed up a ladder to the home’s roof and tried to jump over a fence but instead knocked himself unconscious. He came to as police were putting handcuffs on him.

The report stated Dixon’s license has been suspended several times and he had some marijuana in his vehicle.

Dixon, of 2017 SE 15th St., was arrested on felony charges of aggravated battery and fleeing an officer. He was also charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession, failing to register a vehicle and driving with a revoked license. He was booked into the Alachua County jail, where he remained Tuesday.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top