Woman arrested after shattered window cuts nephew

Published: Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 4:42 p.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 4:42 p.m.

A Gainesville woman was arrested Friday after police say she attacked her mother and threw a pair of hedge clippers through a living room window, causing shattered glass to hit her nephew, cutting his forehead and hand.

Maria Lashon Eastman, 18, of 1025 SE 12th Ave., was inside the house she shares with her mother, Rose Maria Chatman, when the two got into an argument over the breaking of a shed-door lock by Eastman, according to a Gainesville Police Department report.

Eastman allegedly pushed Chatman, causing her to stumble. Then, Eastman followed Chatman into her room, where she allegedly jumped on top of Chatman and began punching her in the face repeatedly, the report said.

Chatman then grabbed Eastman in an attempt to defend herself. Eastman then went outside, where she grabbed a pair of hedge clippers and flung them through the living room window, causing it to shatter, the report said.

Eastman's two nephews, who told police they were frightened when the glass broke, were sitting inside the living room at the time. One of the boys received two small cuts on his forehead and another on his left arm, according to the report.

Chatman also received a small cut under her right eye at some point during the altercation, and Eastman had cuts on her wrist and right cheek, the report said.

Eastman was arrested and charged with two felony counts of child abuse and one felony count of throwing a deadly missile into a dwelling in addition to misdemeanor charges for simple domestic battery and criminal mischief.

After her arrest, Eastman told police that Chatman first grabbed her hair and punched her in the face, and claimed to have acted in self-defense. She also admitted to throwing the hedge clippers through the window and to knowing that her two nephews were inside the house, police said. She claimed, however, that she did not know they were sitting in the living room, the report said.

A witness told police that she saw Eastman atop Chatman repeatedly punching her, the report said.

Eastman was released on a signature bond Saturday afternoon.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top