How golden is your Oscars knowledge?
Published: Friday, February 28, 2014 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 2:46 p.m.
For each of the last three years, the Academy Awards has nominated nine films for Best Picture. As part of Sunday’s broadcast of the 86th Academy Awards, the nine films represent a broad range of subject matter and settings.
Predict the Oscars
Guess the winners in seven categories, including Best Picture, and win up to 24 movies passes in The Sun’s Oscar Contest. Deadline to enter is 5 p.m. Sunday online at www.gainesville.com/oscarcontest.
But just how much do you know about the nine films or the circumstances around them?
Take our annual Oscar quiz — with nine trivia questions, one for each film — to find out how golden your knowledge is of each nominated film.
1. “12 Years a Slave,” directed by Steve McQueen, is the true story of a free black man kidnapped and sold into slavery in the antebellum United States. McQueen, however, is a native and citizen of another country that is also credited as co-producing the film along with the U.S. Name the foreign country.
B. Great Britain
C. French Guiana
D. South Africa
2. Along with its Best Picture nomination, “American Hustle” is the second film since 1981 to receive nominations in all four acting acting catetgories. The first was 2012's “Silver Linings Playbook,” also directed by “Hustle” director David O. Russell. Which “American Hustle” star also was nominated — and won — an Oscar for acting in “Silver Linings Playbook”?
A. Christian Bale
B. Amy Adams
C. Bradley Cooper
D. Jennifer Lawrence
3. “Captain Phillips” star Tom Hanks has been been nominated five times for Best Actor and won twice (for “Philadelphia” and “Forrest Gump”). For which film was he most recently nominated for Best Actor?
A. “Charlie Wilson's War”
B. “The Ladykillers”
C. “Cast Away”
D. “The Green Mile”
4. How many times has “Philomena” star Judi Dench been nominated for Best Actress, including this one?
4. “Dallas Buyers Club,” about a 1980s man who helps AIDS patients get medication after he himself is diagnosed with the disease, is set in Texas. Which two stars of the film are natives of Texas?
A. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto
B. Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner
C. Jared Leto and Jennifer Garner
D. Matthew McConaughey and Steve Zahn
5. The outer space drama “Gravity” stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. But which actor who provides the off-screen voice of Mission Control starred in and received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for the space-hit “Apollo 13”?
A. Bill Paxton
B. Kevin Bacon
C. Gary Sinise
D. Ed Harris
6. The sci-fi romantic drama “Her” is set in 2025 Los Angeles. Which Asian city with striking skyscrapers was filmed for background shots to depict Los Angeles in the future?
B. Hong Kong
8. “Nebraska” is the eighth Best Picture nominee to be shot in black and white since 1970. Which is the most recent movie shot in black and white to win the Oscar for Best Picture?
A. “The Artist”
B. “Schindler's List”
C. “Raging Bull”
D. “The Last Picture Show”
9. Along with “The Wolf of Wall Street,” Leonardo DiCaprio received a nomination for Best Actor for one other film whose title referred to his character. Which film was it?
A. “The Great Gatsby”
B. “J. Edgar”
C. “The Aviator”
D. “The Man in the Iron Mask”
Oscars Quiz Answers:
1. B — Great Britain
2. D — Jennifer Lawrence
3. C — “Cast Away”
4. B — Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner
5. D — Ed Harris
6. C — Shanghai
7. A — “The Artist”
8. B — 5
9. C — “The Aviator”