Five things you need to know for Dec. 25, 2013
Published: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.
1. Free community Christmas dinner for the homeless begins at 10 a.m. today at St. Francis House, 413 S. Main St. (378-9079) Free community dinner for the homeless begins at 3 p.m. at the Salvation Army, 639 E. University Ave. (376-1743)
2. Residential curbside collection for solid waste, recycling and yard trash will be delayed by one day for the remainder of the week starting today. Monday's regular solid waste collection will not be affected.
3. The five Alachua County Rural Collection Centers will be closed today and Thursday as per their normal hours.
4. Looking for someplace to eat out on Christmas Day? Some of the restaurants that will be open today include:
-- Boston Market, 6483 Newberry Road, will be open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
-- TGI Fridays, 3598 Archer Road, will offer its regular menu from 4-10 p.m.
-- The Clock Restaurant at 2010 N. Main St. and three Waffle House locations never close.
-- IHOP, 3625 SW 13th St., will be open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
-- Mr. Han's Restaurant, 6944 NW 10th Place, will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Call 331-6400 for reservations.
-- Amelia's Fine Italian Cuisine, 235 S. Main St., opens at 5 p.m. Call 373-1919 for reservations.
-- Albert's Restaurant in the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center, 1714 SW 34th St., brunch from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For reservations, call 384-3401.
-- Burger Barn, 6505 N. Highway 301, Hawthorne, will be open from 2-8 p.m.
5. The Gainesville Woman's Club and its partner Belk in the Oaks Mall are collecting as much warm clothing for children and adults as possible and then making the clothing available to area shelters for distribution to those in need. The Woman's Club will have a collection box at the entrance facing Newberry Road of Belk in the Oaks Mall. You may bring new or gently used coats and sweaters to Belk during store hours. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.