Amelia's among area restaurants open on Christmas
Published: Friday, December 20, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.
Last Modified: Friday, December 20, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.
Amelia’s Italian restaurant in downtown Gainesville started opening on Christmas Day five years ago as an experiment.
“I remember not having too many options when I was not in the business,” chef and owner Andy Fass said. “On Christmas, it’s either Chinese food or nothing.”
Every year has become busier, he said, and some of the same customers come back each year.
“I’m building a tradition and giving people another option than sitting at home,” Fass said.
He said the Christmas crowd is an interesting mix of people, including those of the Jewish and Hindu faiths, travelers passing through town and those visiting loved ones in local hospitals.
Amelia’s, which is behind the Hippodrome Theatre, will offer duck, lamb and seafood specials in addition to its usual menu. The restaurant opens at 5 p.m., but the first available time as of Friday afternoon was 7 p.m. Call 373-1919 for reservations.
Some of the other restaurants open Christmas Day include:
· Albert’s Restaurant in the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center, 1714 SW 34th St., is offering brunch with “traditional Christmas delicacies,” from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Prices are $28.95 for adults, $14 for children ages 3-12 and free for children younger than 3. For details or to make reservations, call Wagih William, food and beverage director, at 384-3401.
· Boston Market, 6483 Newberry Road, will be open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. with a limited menu that includes a choice of chicken, turkey or ham, two sides, corn bread and pie for $10.99.
· TGI Fridays, 3598 Archer Road, will offer its regular menu from 4-10 p.m.
· The Clock Restaurant at 2010 N. Main St. and three Waffle House locations never close.
· IHOP, 3625 SW 13th St., will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
· Burger Barn, 6505 N. U.S. 301, Hawthorne, a drive-thru burger place, will be open from 2-8 p.m.
Include additional restaurants in this list for a follow-up article by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 338-3171 by 4 p.m. Monday.