Five things you need to know today
Published: Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:33 p.m.
1. Friday is the deadline for contributing to Alachua County Public Schools’ Winter Break Food Drive. The school district is seeking donations of food items or money so that the families of hundreds of children who receive free and reduced price meals at school will have enough to eat during the winter break. Donations of food can be dropped off at Terwilliger, Littlewood or Chiles Elementary, Lincoln Middle or at the district’s main offices at 620 E. University Ave. Money donations or grocery gift cards can also be dropped off at these locations or donations can be made via Paypal at edfoundationac.org.
2. At Museum Nights, celebrate the upcoming holidays and enjoy an evening of tours, entertainment and art making that revolve around the photography exhibition Private Dramas, Public Dreams: The Street Photographs of Helen Levitt & Friends, today at 6 p.m., Harn Museum of Art, UF campus. www.harn.ufl.edu/museumnights
3. Come join in for an hour of holiday sing-a-long and entertainment by "Just the Two of Us," 4-5 p.m. at the Library Partnership Neighborhood Resource Center, 1130 NE 16th Ave. Free.
4. The workshop “How to Write Your Business Plan” is set to run tonight from 6-8 p.m. at Santa Fe CIED Center, 530 W. University Ave. Cost: $30. (375-8278)
5. The heartwarming tale of redemption now in its 37th consecutive year at the Hippodrome, "A Christmas Carol" is being staged today at 7:30 p.m., runs Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., 2 and 4 p.m. Saturdays, through Dec. 21, Hippodrome Theatre, 25 SE Second Place. Tickets: $30-$35, $25 for senior citizens, $15 for students. (375-4477, TheHipp.org).