Five things you need to know today
Published: Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 3:28 p.m.
1. It’s Thanksgiving, and if you’re without a Thanksgiving Day meal, you’ve got at least two options.
Both St. Francis House, 413 S. Main St., and the Salvation Army of Alachua County, 639 E. University Ave., will serve Thanksgiving dinners that are free and open to the public.
ST. FRANCIS HOUSE: Its holiday meal is set for 10 a.m. (378-9079 http://stfrancishousegnv.org)
SALVATION ARMY: Its holiday meal runs from 3-5 p.m (376-1743 ext. 307 or 376-1743 ext. 308 www.salvationarmygainesville.org)
2. Several Gainesville restaurants are open Thanksgiving and will be serving traditonal Thanksgiving fare. Use this URL to access a list of those that are open:
3. Starting at 8:30 this morning is Gainesville's 3rd Annual 10K Turkey Trot and 2 Mile Fun Run. Support the residents of Tacachale and enjoy this on- and off- road run around the beautiful Tacachale campus, 1621 NE Waldo Road.
4. The Gainesville Woman's Club and its partner Belk are collecting warm clothing for children and adults to donate to area shelters for distribution to those in need. Bring new or gently used coats and sweaters to Belk during store hours, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. daily through Dec 31, Belk at the Oaks Mall.
5. Ocala Ghost Walks & Historical Tours offers its 5th annual Thanksgiving Night Ghost Tour tonight at 7. Adult tickets this night are buy one get one free! Downtown Ocala burned on Thanksgiving Day in 1883. Carve out this time to walk off your turkey and learn about Ocala's ghostly history, 56 SE First Ave. #101