SEC honors UF’s Hargreaves
Published: Monday, September 30, 2013 at 11:05 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, September 30, 2013 at 11:05 a.m.
Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III was named SEC Freshman of the Week, the league announced Monday.
Hargreaves made his third interception of the season, the most by an SEC freshman and the third-most nationally among freshmen. He intercepted a pass in the end zone from Kentucky’s Maxwell Smith to rob the Wildcats of a third-quarter touchdown.
Hargreaves leads the Gators in interceptions.
The weeks other honorees:
OFFENSIVE: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
• Murray has been named the Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week following his performance in the 44-41 win over #6 LSU
• He connected on 20-of-34 for 298 yards and four touchdowns and also ran for his third touchdown of the year
• This marked Murray’s second win over an SEC top-10 team in the last three games as he helped generate 494 yards of total offense on the Tigers defense
• Under Murray’s direction, the Bulldogs have scored at least 35 points in all four of their games this season, including at least 41 versus both #6 South Carolina and LSU
• Murray moved into the No. 2 spot in school history with career passing yardage with 11,429 (former Bulldog David Greene holds the school and SEC records at 11,528); in total offense, Murray now has 11,659, which is No. 2 in SEC history.
DEFENSIVE: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
• Senior All-American and defensive signal caller led Tide to first shutout of season.
• Led team with 9 total tackles, one TFL, one PBU and 2 QB hurries.
• Put the game out of reach when he recorded a safety with 5:43 left in the game to make it 18-0.
• Also deflected a pass on a key 4th down and 2 from the Alabama 7 in the 3rd quarter to keep lead 16-0.
• Held Ole Miss to 4-for-14 on 3rd down, 1-of-4 on 4th down, and 0-for-2 in the red zone.
• Rebels totaled just 205 yards (46 rushing, 159 passing) and 3.6 yards per play.
• Held third opponent this season to 10 points or less (7 times in 2012).
• UA now ranks 2nd in SEC in scoring defense (14.5) and 3rd in total defense (331.0).
SPECIAL TEAMS: Marshall Morgan, PK, Georgia
• Morgan scored 14 points during the 44-41 victory over #6 LSU.
• He was 5-for-5 on PATs and drilled all three of his field goal attempts, including a career-long 55 yarder that put Georgia up 27-20 in the third quarter.
DEFENSIVE LINE: Michael Sam, DE, Missouri
• Was a disruptive force in the backfield much of the night in MU’s win over Arkansas State, as he notched a career-best 3.0 quarterback sacks, while forcing a fumble. Ended the night with 4 tackles overall, including his 3.0 sacks for a total of 19 yards in losses.
• The 3.0 sacks ties the NCAA single-game high through Sept. 28th this season, and Sam leads the SEC and ranks 18th in the NCAA so far with his tackles for loss average of 1.5 per game.
OFFENSIVE LINE: A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina
• Cann led the charge for the Gamecocks' offensive line that helped amass 225 yards on the ground, including 167 from Mike Davis, and four rushing touchdowns, and another 265 yards through the air.
• Played all 80 offensive snaps, grading out at 86 percent with no sacks or pressures.
• Of the Gamecocks' 490 total yards, 326 came after intermission.