Q&A with Santa Fe coach Bill Wiles
Published: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, August 19, 2013 at 1:25 p.m.
1. What are your expectations for the season?
“Our expectations are to be tougher mentally and physically. If we are, we'll be better. If not, we won't. It's that simple.”
2. In what areas do you expect your team to improve the most?
“Toughness. That's really the key.”
3. How did winning on the road at Eastside last year after it had just won its district title and playing a tough game against Fort White help build some momentum in the offseason?
“Against Eastside, we played excellent defense and were able to move the ball and control the clock. It was pretty much the same thing against Fort White. We just didn't make enough plays. There's no doubt we played our best football of the year the final two games, for whatever reasons.”
4. The players seem to be very excited about the upcoming season. How tough was that first year?
“Well, I know these players names now and they know me, so we're way ahead of where we were last year. We had a good offseason program, we had a spring practice together and they know me and my personality.”
5. What is the challenge of turning this program around?
“It all goes back to being accountable, wanting to be good and willing to pay the price to be good. Any time you go anywhere that the last 13-14 years have not been very good, they just have to rely on what I tell them to be true. Basically it's about having faith, and faith is believing in something you can't see, smell or touch.”
- Jim Harvin