Kelly Belanger: Spirit of Gainesville nominee
Published: Monday, August 19, 2013 at 2:37 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, August 19, 2013 at 2:37 p.m.
1. Describe the nominee's main area of contribution and how it impacts the community.
About Kelly Belanger
Years in Gainesville: 17
Community Service. This past year Kelly has made over 100 community service appearances including classroom tutoring, volunteering with the Ronald McDonald House, Early Learning Coalition, and has a special place in her heart for the Boys & Girls Club. She has done book drives, food drives, school supply drives, supply drives for the animal shelters and made appearances to raise awareness for causes including Children's Miracle Network and the National Psoriasis Foundation. Kelly also models for runway shows that are charity driven, such as Jacqueline Brooks Runways and Rescues, and the Florida Goal Liners
Kelly is an active participant in the deaf community where she serves as the event coordinator for the Signing Saints at Santa Fe College where she is dual enrolling. Kelly has been volunteering in the community since she was seven years old.
2. Length of service. For over 10 years Kelly has been volunteering in the Community and dedicates at least 10 hours a week to the Boys & Girls Club of Alachua County.
3. Who most benefits from the nominee's efforts? ALL OF US are inspired by Kelly’s hard work drive and commitment to our community and especially our underprivileged youth. She spends countless hours talking to our kids about the importance of education, staying in school and LIFE. Kelly is wise beyond her years and Gainesville and the Boys & Girls Club are very fortunate to have her in our community.
4. Amount of time, personal sacrifice involved. Kelly schedules at least 10 hours a week to contribute to the community, but I know she actually puts in many more hours. She is at the Boys & Girls Club several days a week and assist the Club at all of our special events.
5. How will the nominee's work continue in the future? Having so much experience with community service, Kelly serves as a role model to other teens and she gives advice to not only kids, but also to parents that want to get involved. She is generous and kind and a true champion for children with disabilities. I have never seen a teen so willing to give back and serve her community.
6. What else should we know about the nominee's efforts?
Kelly is an active participant in the deaf community where she serves as the event coordinator for the Signing Saints at Santa Fe College where she is dual enrolling. Kelly has been volunteering in the community since she was seven years old. Having so much experience with community service, she serves as a role model to other teens and she gives advice to not only kids, but also to parents that want to get involved.
Kelly is also serving her reign as Miss Florida National Teen 2013 in which her platform is community service and giving back. With her Miss Florida National Teen title, Kelly recently won the National Ambassador Award for service to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
Fun Fact: Worked for 6 months as the cow mascot with Chick-Fil-A
Nominated by Keith Blanchard