Patriots owner feels 'duped' by former player Hernandez
Published: Monday, July 8, 2013 at 7:00 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, July 8, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.
ATTLEBORO, Mass. — New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday that if the charges against jailed former tight end Aaron Hernandez are true, his organization has been “duped.”
The Patriots last year signed Hernandez, a 2010 fourth-round draft choice from Florida, to a five-year contract worth $40 million.
The franchise, however, released Hernandez the day of his arrest on murder charges connected to the killing of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, a semi-pro football player who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee and had been a friend of Hernandez.
Lloyd was found slain on June 17 at an industrial park in North Attleborough, not far from the home of Hernandez that became a magnet for reporters and television trucks until his arrest several days later.
“If this stuff is true, then I’ve been duped and our whole organization has been duped,” Kraft said in a session with reporters from The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald and ESPNBoston.com. “When he was in our building, we never saw anything where he was not polite. He was always respectful to me. We only know what’s going on inside the building. We don’t put private eyes on people.”
Kraft also said the Patriots will “be looking at our procedures and auditing how we do things” with regard to character reviews.
During a hearing on Monday in Attleboro District Court, a judge lifted an impoundment order on search warrants related to the Hernandez case. Motions to unseal the material were filed by The Patriot Ledger and Taunton Gazette newspapers and their parent Gatehouse Media, supported by The Associated Press and The Boston Globe.
Gregg Miliote, a spokesman for Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter, said the judge allowed for their release as of 2 p.m. Monday unless there is an appeal. It was not immediately clear whether Hernandez’s legal team would mount a challenge. A message left for attorney James Sultan wasn’t immediately returned.
Sutter had opposed the search warrants’ release but said outside court his office accepted the ruling.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder and gun charges. His lawyers argue the case against him is circumstantial and say he is eager to clear his name. A judge has denied bail for Hernandez, and he is being held in a Massachusetts jail.
A man facing an accessory to murder charge in the case was ordered held without bail. Ernest Wallace pleaded not guilty in the same courthouse in a separate hearing on Monday. The Miramar man will be held until another hearing on July 22, under an agreement between his attorney and prosecutors.
Details of the charge against Wallace — accessory to murder after the fact — were not released during the brief proceeding. Sutter declined comment on the specific allegations outside the courthouse, citing the ongoing investigation into the death of Lloyd.
Prosecutors say Wallace, 41, and another man, Carlos Ortiz, were with Hernandez when they drove with Lloyd to the industrial park. Authorities say Hernandez orchestrated the killing because he was upset at Lloyd for talking to certain people at a nightclub a few days earlier; they have not said who fired the fatal shots.
Wallace did not speak during Monday’s hearing but mouthed “I love you” to some people sitting in the courtroom before he was led out. Defense attorney David Meier did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
A member of the Lloyd family declined to comment outside the courthouse, saying she would wait until the case was over.
Ortiz, who lives in Hernandez’s hometown of Bristol, Conn., was arraigned last month on a charge of illegally carrying a firearm on the day of the shooting. A not guilty plea was entered on his behalf.
Ortiz is due in court Tuesday for a so-called “dangerousness” hearing. Defendants who are deemed by the court to be a danger to the community may be held without bail for 90 days.