Girl, 2, scalded in bathtub lost 'pieces of skin,' deputies say
Published: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 2:22 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 2:22 p.m.
A 2-year old girl was brought to a hospital emergency room Tuesday night after being burned in a bathtub by scalding water so severely parts of her skin were floating in the water, according to a report.
Camille Telusma, 21, of Gainesville was caring for the child Tuesday in an apartment on Southeast 41st Drive while her mother was at work, according to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office report.
He said he left the toddler unattended with bathwater running for “two minutes” to attend to the 3-month old baby he shares with the victim’s mother.
However, it was unclear if the child was in the tub at that time because he also said that a 5-year-old sibling of the victim might have helped the 2-year-old get into the tub.
Telusma told authorities he returned to the bathroom to check on the victim and noticed several pieces of her skin floating on the water.
He said he immediately removed the child from the water and called her mother, who returned home from work to put ointment and aloe on the baby’s legs, feet and buttocks.
The mother then called an after-hours medical facility in an attempt to schedule a doctor’s appointment for the child but was advised to seek emergency care.
She brought the child to the emergency room at UF Shands Pediatric Hospital, where hospital staff contacted authorities.
In an interview with investigators with the Child Protection Team, Telusma could not provide an explanation for additional injuries on the child, including a fingerprint on her left thigh and bruising and swelling that was observed on both thighs.
Telusma was arrested on charges of child neglect and cruelty toward a child and remained Tuesday in the Alachua County jail in lieu of $40,000 bond.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.