Jurors convict Jacksonville man in son's death


Published: Friday, May 17, 2013 at 9:32 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, May 17, 2013 at 9:32 a.m.

JACKSONVILLE — A 24-year-old man faces up to 30 years in prison after being convicted of manslaughter and child neglect in the death of his 5-month-old son.

The Florida Times-Union (http://bit.ly/18PxhSP ) reports Cordero Anthony Webber will be sentenced in July.

Jurors chose not to convict him of first-degree murder. Defense attorney Jim Hernandez said the child's mother, Kierra Monet Hayes Laird, is responsible for the abuse. He says she's blaming his client to get a lesser sentence. Laird pleaded guilty last year to child neglect charges. She testified against Webber.

Testimony suggested the Cordero Anthony Webber Jr. suffered abuse for weeks before his death in November 2011. An autopsy showed he had broken ribs that were in the process of healing and that he had suffered multiple head trauma.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top