Social Security tip: Questions and answers

Published: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 2:31 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 2:31 p.m.

Q: Is Supplemental Security Income (SSI) taxable?

A: No. SSI payments are not subject to federal taxes, so you will not get an annual form SSA-1099. To learn more about SSI, read the publication, “What You Need To Know When You Get Supplemental Security Income” at

However, if you receive Social Security benefits, they may be taxed. To learn more, see the page on the subject at

Q: How does a blind or visually impaired person sign up for or change a special notice option?

A: To sign up or change options, you can:

Call toll-free at-800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778).

Visit your local Social Security office.

Contact the U.S. Embassy or consulate, if you live outside the United States.

For more information about your choices for receiving information from Social Security, go to

Q: I’m 65, not ready to retire, but I want to apply for my Medicare coverage. How can I do that?

A: The easiest and most convenient way is to apply online. Use the online application to sign up for Medicare. It takes less than 10 minutes. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required.

Social Security will process your application and contact you if more information is needed. Otherwise, you will receive your Medicare card in the mail.

Get started today at

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top