GPD: Mom punches staff, sets off fire extinguisher at day care
Published: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 8:35 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.
Fisticuffs in a day care center led to the arrest Monday of a Navy-bound mother on allegations she punched staff members and set off a fire extinguisher when they tried to stop her from leaving with her son, according to the Gainesville Police Department.
Sharetta Renae Robinson, 34, of 741 NW 8th St., was charged with three counts of aggravated assault, child abuse, battery and criminal mischief following an incident that occurred about 11:05 a.m. at La Petite Academy at 3009 Archer Road, an arrest report states.
Robinson earlier received notice of a March 5 court hearing regarding her parental rights, Officer Ben Tobias reported. The notice stated that Robinson would give up her parental rights if she did not attend the court hearing. Robinson did not appear as scheduled, and her parental rights were removed.
Robinson got into the day care Monday by entering a code on a keypad, but once inside she was told by staff that she was not allowed to visit her son.
The report states she was in the toddler room when she grabbed her son and tried to leave.
Staff members grabbed the boy and tried to keep him inside while another staffer tried to separate Robinson from her son, according to the report.
Robinson kicked and punched a staff member and then got a fire extinguisher off the wall. She attempted to hit the staff members with it and then sprayed the chemical all over the office, police reported.
Some of the chemical got in the face of the boy, police said.
Under questioning, Robinson admitted to spraying the office with the fire extinguisher but denied hitting anyone, police reported. The report states she told officers she wanted to say goodbye to her son because she is joining the Navy.
On Tuesday afternoon, La Petite Academy emailed a statement to The Sun.
“We were advised by the proper authorities that the individual was to have no contact with the child,” the statement said. “Our staff followed this guidance and our procedures to ensure the child’s well-being. Nothing is more important than the safety of the children in our care.”