Smoking equipment prompts evacuation at animal hospital

Firefighters with Gainesville Fire Rescue finish working the scene of a fire at Shores Animal Hospital Thursday.

Doug Finger/The Gainesville Sun
Published: Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.

A piece of malfunctioning equipment that created smoke at Shores Animal Hospital at 3811 NW 13th St. caused a momentary scare Thursday afternoon that led to the evacuation of staff and animals.

Gainesville Fire Rescue Acting District Chief David McIntire said no fire damage occurred.

"There was a piece of medical equipment that appears to have overheated or was not functioning properly," McIntire said. "Staff used extinguishers ... so we just went in and got the smoke out."

No one was injured in the incident, which occurred shortly after 4 p.m. Thursday.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top