High school blitz
Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 6:58 a.m.
5 things of note in area sports
- Tyler Griffin, a junior right fielder at The Citadel and a graduate of Gainesville High, was named one of three national hitters of the week by Collegiate Baseball. Griffin, during a four-game stretch, went 8 for 17 last week for a .471 batting average with nine RBIs and hit three homers in one game. He shared the weekly honor with Marcus Davis of FSU and Charlie White of Maryland. For the season, Griffin is batting .484 with four home runs and a slugging percentage of .968.
- Mitchell College freshman forward and former Eastside standout Devonta Mosley was named New England Collegiate Conference Rookie of the Year. Mosley averaged 9.5 points per game, ranking third on the team in scoring. He scored in double figures 14 times and had a season-high 20 at Albertus Magnus College on Nov. 27.
- Jessica Kinsler of GHS, a junior who won her second straight state title in girls weightlifting at the 154-pound class, was one of the subjects in the Feb. 25 edition of Faces in the Crowd in Sports Illustrated. Kinsler broke her own bench-press record of 210 pounds with a 225 lift at the state championships recently in Kissimmee. With her clean and jerk lift of 175, she had a total of 400 to win her second straight title by 60 pounds. She was one of only three lifters to total the 400-pound plateau regardless of class.
- Miami Norland, Gainesville's opponent in today's Class 6A boys basketball semifinal, is one of three teams that can repeat as state champions. Pompano Beach Ely, which plays Bartow in Friday's 7A state semifinal, and Orlando Christian Prep, which played for the 2A state title Wednesday night, are the others.
- Gainesville's 74-66 regional semifinal win at Leesburg on Feb. 19 was the Yellow Jackets' first home loss in three years.
FHSAA State Tournament
All games at The Lakeland Center
To see the games online, visit fhsaa.playonsports.com
Class 1A semifinals
Greensboro West Gadsden 76, Union County 51
Bonifay Holmes County 51, Hawthorne 48
Class 2A semifinals
Boca Raton Grandview Prep 63, Jacksonville North Florida Educational 49
Orlando Christian Prep 86, Miami Westwood Christian 68
Class 4A semifinals
Orlando Lake Highland Prep 55, Miami Ransom Everglades 50
Boca Raton St. Andrews 55, Havana East Gadsden 49
Class 3A semifinals
Jacksonville Providence 74, Naples Community School 39
Coral Springs Christian 56, Melbourne Florida Air 49
Class 1A finals
Holmes County 59, West Gadsden 40
Class 2A finals
Grandview Prep 51, Orlando Christian Prep 40
Class 6A semifinals
Gainesville (21-9) vs. Miami Norland (24-5), noon
Pensacola Pine Forest (29-1) vs. Winter Haven (21-10), 1:30 p.m.
Class 4A championship
Lake Highland Prep (23-5) vs. St. Andrews (24-3), 4:35 p.m.
Class 3A championship
Providence (30-1) vs. Coral Springs Christian (29-3), 8:05 p.m.
Class 5A semifinals
Palatka (26-4) vs. Plantation American Heritage (22-7), 10 a.m.
Jacksonville Bishop Kenny (24-6) vs. Tampa Jesuit (29-1), 11:30 a.m.
Class 7A semifinals
Orlando Evans (19-7) vs. Martin County (26-3), 2:30 p.m.
Bartow (27-3) vs. Pompano Beach Blanche Ely (25-1), 4 p.m.
Class 8A semifinals
Tampa Wharton (24-4) vs. South Miami (26-2), 7 p.m.
Oviedo Hagerty (25-5) vs. Deerfield Beach (28-4), 8:30 p.m.
Class 5A championship at 10 a.m.
Class 6A championship at 1:35 p.m.
Class 7A championship at 5:05 p.m.
Class 8A championship at 8:35 p.m.
Please call in your box scores (baseball, girls softball, girls and boys lacrosse, girls and boys tennis, girls and boys track and field, and boys weightlifting) to 352-374-5050 each night by 10:30. Coaches can email results to firstname.lastname@example.org but should first email or call high school sports editor Larry Savage about the proper format when emailing. His email address is email@example.com and phone number is 352-374-5050.
Call in your athlete of the week nominations on Sundays between 4-7 p.m. Email weekly statistics to Paul Kardasz firstname.lastname@example.org.