Police: Dad feeds 2-month-old daughter bleach
Published: Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 5:41 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, February 18, 2013 at 10:06 a.m.
A 2-month-old Ocala baby is being treated after drinking bleach given to her by her father, Ocala Police Department officials said Sunday.
Police officers arrested Carron Herman Washington, 20, and charged him with aggravated child abuse Sunday after he confessed to pouring bleach into the child's baby bottle and feeding it to her, said Ocala police Lt. Scott Fosler.
Fosler said that Washington told investigators he didn't mean to harm the child and that he hoped the bleach would help with the child's chronic congestion problems.
Fosler said the child's condition is unknown other than she was still alive Sunday.
Because the poisoning is a domestic crime, there is no bond set and Washington remains in Marion County jail.
Police became involved about 3 a.m. Sunday when emergency workers at Munroe Regional Medical Center contacted investigators about the suspicious condition of the baby. Emergency workers had taken the child to that hospital. Soon thereafter, the infant was transported to Shands at the University of Florida in Gainesville, where she is currently being treated.
Fosler said that the child's mother, Therese Roberts, 20, told police that she was awakened before 2 a.m. Sunday by the child's loud crying and left her bed to investigate.
She found Washington, of Sutton Place Apartments, 523 NE 23rd Circle, Apt. 1, feeding the baby from her baby bottle, Fosler said.
Roberts, of Sutton Place Apartments, 541 NE 23rd Circle, Apt. 1, took the child from her father and held it, patting her back, Folser said. The baby then vomited and the mother told police she could smell bleach in the fluid from the baby's stomach. She told police she also smelled bleach from the baby bottle. The incident occurred at the mother's address.
Fosler said there did not appear to be any other injuries to the child, but that Washington had changed his explanation of events to police several times before admitting he gave the baby the poisonous liquid. Fosler said Washington insisted the liquid was meant to help the baby breathe better.
Contact Fred Hiers at firstname.lastname@example.org or 867-4157.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.