Police arrest second suspect in January robbery

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 1:50 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 1:50 p.m.

Gainesville police have arrested a man suspected of staging a robbery at an Internet cafe in January.

Enlarge |

Gainesville Police Department Detective Martin Honeycutt, left, escorts robbery suspect Xavier Antowyn Gunn in this photo provided by GPD.

Provided by GPD

Xavier Antowyn Gunn, of 3600 Windmeadows Blvd., Apt. 120, was charged with armed burglary, grand theft and possession of a concealed firearm by a convicted felon, said Officer Ben Tobias, spokesman for the Gainesville Police Department.

Arrested in January on charges of armed burglary and conspiracy in connection with the same case was Courtney Hamilton, 21, the cashier on duty at the time of the robbery.

The incident happened Jan. 2 at the Gainesville Internet Cafe, 4158 NW 13th St.

In a surveillance video, the culprit quickly walked up to the counter with the gun pointed sideways in his right hand and threw a black bag at Hamilton, who rapidly filled it. The robber got away with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Discrepancies with Hamilton's statement came to light after investigators watched the surveillance video. She was arrested shortly after the incident, and Gunn has been wanted since then.

Gunn was spotted by Darry Lloyd, an investigator for the State Attorney's Office, about 8:15 a.m. Thursday in the 2800 block of Northeast 11th Terrace, Tobias told The Sun. Lloyd called police and continued to watch Gunn as he went into a home.

Gunn had made previous statements to GPD that he would not be taken alive, Tobias said. Given that threat, officers from GPD, the Alachua County Sheriff's Office and the U.S. Marshal's Florida Regional Task Force surrounded the house.

Gunn then surrendered without incident.

Tobias said it took about five minutes from the time officers contacted Gunn with a public address system until he surrendered.

"We knew from the original incident that Gunn was armed with a handgun, so we brought an appropriate show of force to effect the arrest," Tobias said in a news release. "I'm proud we were able to work with the other agencies today to safely conclude this case."

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top