Employee burned at SiVance plant


Published: Friday, January 11, 2013 at 4:06 p.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 11, 2013 at 4:06 p.m.

An employee at the chemical company SiVance in northeast Gainesville was hospitalized with burns to his legs following an incident at the plant Friday afternoon.

Gainesville Fire Rescue District Chief Michael Cowart said the man was taken to Shands at the University of Florida.

"There was a fire at the plant, which they were able to put out in-house. The fire was extinguished upon our arrival," Cowart said. "The person who suffered some minor burn injuries was already packaged and ready to go when we got there."

SiVance, at 5003 NE 54th Place off Waldo Road, develops and manufactures silicone technologies required to modify many different silicone and non-silicone materials, according to its website.

The incident was reported at 1:42 p.m. and involved the chemical tetramethyldisiloxane, according to calls to the Combined Communications Center.

Cowart said he did not know the degree of the man's burns. The initial report to the communications center described the injury as second-degree burns to 25 percent of his body.

Attempts to reach an official at SiVance were unsuccessful.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top