Family of man who died in 2011 files wrongful death suit against GRU

Published: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 5:03 p.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 5:03 p.m.

The family of a drilling company worker who died by electrocution last year when he struck an underground power line has filed a wrongful death claim against Gainesville Regional Utilities.

On Aug. 22, 2011, Jared Melton, 27, of Lake County, was excavating with an auger at Tuscan Bend Apartments, 3009 Archer Road, when he struck a 120-volt underground line.

Melton’s mother filed suit against GRU in late October, seeking unspecified damages in excess of $15,000 -- the threshold for circuit court.

The suit alleges that, before boring and digging began on site, GRU was contacted to provide the location of underground utilities and did not mark any underground electric lines in the area where Melton was electrocuted while working.

GRU spokeswoman Katie Weitekamp said the utility would not comment on active litigation.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top