House fire sends McIntosh man to hospital

Published: Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 7:05 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 7:05 p.m.

MCINTOSH — An elderly man was taken to Shands Hospital in Gainesville on Sunday after a fire destroyed his home, according to a Marion County Fire Rescue official.

Firefighters were dispatched shortly before noon Sunday to 9550 NW 230th St. in McIntosh where they found a single-family home engulfed in flames. Also burning in the heavily wooded area was a quarter-acre of land and several vehicles at the site, Fire Rescue spokeswoman Jessica Greene said.

Greene said the homeowner, whose name was not released, was transported to Shands for treatment for smoke inhalation. No one else was injured in the blaze.

County records indicate the property is owned by Ido Gustavson, 75. The records describe the house as a 40-year-old mobile home that had a wood stove as a heat source but no chimney.

According to Greene, the fire was reported by a motorist traveling along Interstate 75 near mile-marker 373, who had noticed smoke in the area.

The state Forest Service also responded to battle the fire, which is being investigated by the state Fire Marshal’s Office.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top