Fire badly damages southeast-area home

Published: Saturday, November 17, 2012 at 5:56 p.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, November 17, 2012 at 5:56 p.m.

A Saturday morning house fire in southeast Gainesville caused by an electrical problem sent flames shooting through the roof and caused substantial damage before it was extinguished in 10 minutes by Gainesville Fire Rescue, reported acting district chief Don Campbell.

The fire was reported about 11:37 a.m. at 1420 SE 41st Place. Firefighters arrived to find flames through the roof and got reports from neighbors that the resident works a night shift and usually is sleeping in the middle of the day, Campbell reported in a press release.

Crews immediately entered the home to search for anyone who may have been inside and to extinguish the fire. No one was found, and firefighters had the fire under control in 10 minutes, but remained on scene for more than an hour.

"The majority of the home is damaged. It is going to take some pretty big renovation to get it back to where somebody can live in it," Campbell told The Sun, adding the house is of block exterior and wood interior.

The Red Cross was contacted by GFR to assist the family.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical problem in the heating and air conditioning unit.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top