Man arrested after fleeing from officer

Published: Friday, November 16, 2012 at 9:27 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, November 16, 2012 at 9:27 a.m.

A Gainesville man was arrested Thursday on multiple charges after pointing a gun at police during a chase and fleeing into an apartment with two children inside, according to a Gainesville Police Department arrest report.

Bruce Darby, 30, of 1222 SE 18th Terrace, was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, resisting arrest without violence, two counts of child abuse and aggravated assault on a police officer.

The incident occurred at about 2:45 p.m. in the Village Green apartments at 3101 NE 15th St. Officers responding to a disturbance found Darby in a group of people pointing a handgun at the abdomen of a man whose back was against a brick wall, the report states.

Darby ran when he saw Officer Ernell Cook, who gave chase. During the chase, Darby looked back and raised the gun toward the officer, according to the report.

“I immediately felt that I was in imminent danger (of) being shot . ... I immediately felt an adrenaline dump throughout my body,” Cook wrote in his police report. “I felt my hands become cold and clammy. I started to encounter tunnel vision and loss of hearing due to the physiological response to the situation. He then turned back around and continued to flee from me.”

Lt. Dan Stout said Darby jumped from a second-floor balcony during the chase. Police later were told that Darby was in a particular apartment.

Officers saw Darby in the apartment through a window holding two children, ages 1 and 2. Darby eventually surrendered and was taken into custody.

Darby told police he did not have a gun. He said he did not come out of the apartment when first commanded by police because he feared that if he opened the door, he would endanger the lives of the children, according to the report.

Darby served time in state prison on convictions for armed robbery, possession of ecstasy, conspiracy to commit robbery and attempted robbery. He was released from prison in October 2011.

After his arrest, Darby was booked into the Alachua County jail, where he remained Friday without bond.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top