Gainesville man, 78, dies from home-invasion beating

Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 4:22 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 4:22 p.m.

Paul Quandt, the 78-year-old Gainesville man severely beaten in a home-invasion robbery last week, died on Wednesday.


Paul Quandt

Gainesville Police Sgt. Joe Raulerson said the charges against the two suspects will be reviewed with the State Attorney’s Office for a possible change of the charges to murder.

“The State Attorney’s Office and our investigators are still investigating the case and are considering all of the options, and that includes a possible indictment for first-degree murder,” Raulerson said. “It’s a sad time. Our hearts and our prayers go out to the family of Mr. Quandt. What a difficult time this family has had from the start of the incident.”

Quandt, who used a motorized scooter for mobility, was badly beaten during the home invasion on Jan. 9 in the Blues Creek subdivision off Northwest 43rd Street.

He had been in Shands at the University of Florida since the crime.

Quandt’s son, Paul Quandt Jr., said last week that his father had severe head injuries as a result of the beating.

Quandt was bound during the robbery but managed to free himself and go to a next-door neighbor, who called police.

The suspects fled in Quandt’s car, which police spotted nearby when they were responding to the house.

Arrested shortly afterward was Austin Mark Jones, 22 of Fort White. Charges against Jones include attempted murder, false imprisonment and home invasion robbery.

Arrested the following night was Maranda Joy Martin, 22, of 1524 NW Fourth Ave., Apt. P. She has been charged with attempted murder, home invasion robbery, armed burglary and false imprisonment.

The two are being held in the Alachua County jail.

State Attorney’s Office spokesman Spencer Mann said the charged against Jones and Martin will be reconsidered.

“Obviously we will be waiting on the reports from the medical examiner’s office because they would be important to considering new charges,” Mann said. “We’ll await additional information from law enforcement and the medical examiner’s office before making a decision.”

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top