Easley won't face charges
Published: Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 3:40 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 3:40 p.m.
After investigating the case, the State Attorney’s Office will not file formal charges against Florida defensive tackle Dominique Easley and former Alabama player Reggie Myles for their alleged scuffle outside Florida Field after the Oct. 1 UF-Alabama game.
In announcing his decision Thursday, State Attorney Bill Cervone said everyone involved provided contradictory information in some regard and some involved were impaired from drinking. Cervone said Easley and Myles both behaved badly and any harm inflicted was canceled out by both parties.
Last week, the University Police Department filed a sworn complaint against Easley and Myles. Easley was charged with misdemeanor battery, while Myles was charged with criminal mischief, larceny and disorderly intoxication.
“There are no clean hands in this situation,” Cervone said in a release. “There is also no harm done, despite protestations to the contrary, that outweighs these factors. Any harm to either party is in essence canceled out by the harm to the other party.
“To use an appropriate analogy, I am therefore calling off setting penalties and declining to file any criminal charges against either Easley, Myles, or anyone else.”
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.