House burns near Micanopy
Published: Friday, October 21, 2011 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, October 22, 2011 at 1:43 a.m.
A man escaped a burning home near Micanopy Friday night, but the structure, at 12012 Palmetto Drive, was badly damaged.
Alachua County Fire Rescue District Chief Joe Cox said the home appeared to be a total loss because of structural damage to the roof and the interior of the half of the duplex where the fire started. Cox said the other apartment has smoke and water damage.
Cox said the fire was reported at 10:24 p.m.
The Micanopy Fire Department — Station No. 26 — arrived first and began to attack the blaze. Alachua County trucks soon arrived, and the fire was under control in 20 to 25 minutes.
“There was someone at home and he smelled smoke and went to investigate and found heavy smoke in his bedroom,” Cox said. “And it appeared the fire was in his closet.”
The man got out safely. His roommate was at work, as was the woman who lived in the other half of the duplex. As of 1:15 am. Saturday, fire officials had not managed to contact her.
“My roommate was home and was looking at fantasy football on the Internet,” Jason Dach said as he stood on the street in front of his burned-out home. “He smelled some smoke, and he followed it into the room and it was chest high smoke. … It was the ceiling in the closet.”
Dach said he lost everything, including his tomcat named Oy.
Dach’s roommate didn’t want to talk about the fire.