Doctor: Bacterial infection killed UCF student
Published: Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 1:09 p.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 1:09 p.m.
ORLANDO, Fla. — Authorities say they now know what killed a University of Central Florida freshman found unresponsive by her roommates after a fraternity party.
The Orange-Osceola chief medical examiner, Jan Garavaglia, said Friday that Ann Hefferin died of sepsis syndrome, a rare but serious bacterial infection.
Garavaglia also said caffeine, an ingredient in over-the-counter painkillers and a trace amount of alcohol were detected in her bloodstream.
According to the Orlando Sentinel (http://thesent.nl/prhEEx ), Garavaglia said it's unclear how Hefferin became ill.
The 18-year-old Maitland student was found unconscious in August in her on-campus apartment. She died at a hospital.
The university put Hefferin's sorority and the fraternity that hosted the party on probation for not preventing underage drinking.
UCF students voted last week for a policy encouraging students to report alcohol-related emergencies.