UF's five toughest games of '11
Published: Monday, July 18, 2011 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 11:32 p.m.
It's your Daily Football Fix! Our staff writers are here to help get you through the long, hot summer with a daily dose of college football.
Gee, that was a quick summer. It seems like I got off a plane from Omaha and right into the car for the drive to SEC Media Days in Hoover.
Just like that, football season — which starts with the first Media day on Wednesday — is all over us. It should be a good one. Here in Gainesville, we have no idea what to expect.
New coach, transition year, brutal schedule.
I do know this — there are going to be some intense games for this team this year. And how the Gators do in these five will determine the type of season they have.
1. Alabama — It's hard to say that Will Muschamp has to take back The Swamp because Urban Meyer has such a great record here. Until 2010. Three losses at Florida Field were mind-numbing. So I guess Muschamp does have some reclaiming to do.
2. At LSU — Always a tough place to play. And this is a very good football team. Florida won the last time it went to Baton Rouge with a quarterback named Timmy or Jimmy or Jimmer or something. We know how LSU beat Florida last year. Revenge is a soup best served over rice.
3. Georgia — Meyer played up the rivalries. Muschamp is taking a different approach. But you know his butterflies will be XXL for this game against his former school. The last three UF coaches owned Georgia (even Ron Zook). Can this Gator team keep the run going?
4. At South Carolina — Oh, the carnage last year when the Gamies came to Gainesville and opened a can of whup-butt on the Gators with the SEC East on the line. South Carolina will be the favorite to win the East. Gator fans hope it comes down to this game again.
5. Florida State — After humiliating the Semis for so long, last season's loss rekindled a fading rivalry. Muschamp has his beach house buddy Jimbo Fisher on his home turf this year and needs to re-establish who is the boss.