How well do you know the 10 Oscar nominees for best picture?
Published: Friday, January 28, 2011 at 2:33 p.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 28, 2011 at 2:33 p.m.
The little gold man has spoken: Ten movies received Academy Award nominations this week in hopes of taking home the Oscar for Best Picture on Feb. 27.
This is the second year that Oscar has given 10 films a nod for Best Picture. But just how much do you know about the 10 films or the circumstances around them?
Take our Oscar quiz — 10 trivia questions, one about each film — to find out how golden your knowledge of the 10 nominated films is.
1. “Black Swan's” Natalie Portman has been nominated for an Academy Award once before for what film?
A. “Cold Mountain” B. “Closer” C. “Garden State” D. “The Other Boleyn Girl”
2. The title “The Kids Are All Right” is based on the song “The Kids Are Alright” by what band?
A. The Who B. The Rolling Stones C. The Beatles D. The Jackson 5
3. “Toy Story 3” is Disney's PIXAR studio's 11th animated film. What was PIXAR's first film?
A. “Monsters Inc.” B. “A Bug's Life” C. “Toy Story” D. “Finding Nemo”
4. “Winter's Bone” won the top prize at what film festival?
A. Cannes B. South by Southwest C. Toronto D. Sundance
5. What cast member of “Inception” has never been nominated for an Oscar?
A. Leonardo DiCaprio B. Ellen Page C. Joseph Gordon-Levitt D. Michael Caine
6. Including “True Grit,” how many total Coen Brothers movies have been nominated for Best Picture?
A. 3 B. 4 C. 5 D. 2
7. “127 Hours” recounts real-life mountain climber Aron Ralston's attempts to free himself after becoming trapped while climbing in which state?
A. Colorado B. Utah C. Oregon D. Washington
8. In “The Fighter,” what is the nickname of real-life boxer Mickey Ward as portrayed by Mark Wahlberg?
A. “Sugar Ray” B. “Boom-Boom” C. “Irish” D. “Scottish”
9. Justin Timberlake's supporting character in “The Social Network” is known for starting which real-life website?
A. Kazaa B. Morpheus C. Napster D. Zapster
10. In “The King's Speech,” which non-royal leader helps Britain's King George VI overcome his stuttering problem to deliver a radio speech and inspire the English people during World War II?
A. Winston Churchill B. General Bernard “Monty” Montgomery C. Louis Mountbatten D. Neville Chamberlain
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.