Automatic sprinklers extringuish fires at nursing home, apartment


Published: Friday, January 21, 2011 at 7:48 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 21, 2011 at 7:48 a.m.

Automatic fire sprinklers are getting credit for rapidly extinguishing two fires on Thursday, one in a nursing home and another in an apartment.

According to Gainesville Fire Rescue Acting District Chief Don Campbell, crews from Gainesville and Alachua County Fire Rescue went to the first call at Summerville of Gainesville, a nursing home at 1001 SW 62nd Blvd. An automatic fire alarm had been activated. Firefighters and staff discovered a fire had started in a storage room. Campbell said the single sprinkler head in the room put out the blaze.

The second fire broke out at in a kitchen at the Enclave Apartments at 3000 SW 35th Pl. Again, firefighters found that a single sprinkler head was activated and extinguished the fire.

"These are two more examples of how automatic sprinkler systems can keep citizens safe," Campbell said in a news release. "No injuries were reported at either location."

Campbell said the apartment fire was also a reminder to not leave food unattended while it is being cooked.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top