SEC non-conference schedule lowlights
Published: Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 12:49 a.m.
It's your Daily Football Fix! Gainesville Sun staff writers are here to help get you through the long, hot summer with a daily dose of college football. The series runs every day until the start of fall practice.
A few days ago, we took at look at the best non-conference games in the SEC this season. Today, we take a look at the worst (and believe me, there are plenty to choose from):
1. Alabama at Duke — This game might actually be competitive for a while, but what in the world is Alabama doing traveling to Duke to play in that high school atmosphere? I just don't get it.
2. Miami (Ohio) at Florida — Typical opening-day fodder for the Gators, and a big stat game for John Brantley.
3. McNeese State at LSU — This game will be McUgly, for sure.
4. Eastern Michigan at Vanderbilt — This should draw a huge, energetic crowd to Dudley Field. Not.
5. Idaho State at Georgia — Idaho State makes the Louisiana Lafayette game look like a big one on the 'Dogs' schedule.
6. Furman at South Carolina — Technically, this is a rivalry game because the schools are in the same state. But the programs are worlds apart.
7. Georgia State at Alabama — Would the Tide be complaining if Georgia State had an open date before this one? I don't think so.
8. Tennessee-Martin at Tennessee — Same as the South Carolina-Furman matchup.
9. Texas El-Paso at Arkansas — UTEP will look INEPT against an Arkansas team that is on the rise.
10. Alcorn State at Mississippi State — Hey, they played last season. Isn't once enough?
11. Chatanooga at Auburn — Can you see Jordan-Hare Stadium from the top of Lookout Mountain?
12. Jacksonville State at Ole Miss — The Rebels also play Louisiana Lafayette, Tulane and Fresno State. Man, what a non-conference juggernaut.
13. Louisiana Lafayette at Georgia — Is Lafayette playing an SEC schedule, or does it just seem like it?
So, there you have it, a baker's dozen of lousy non-conference games in the SEC this season to go along with the 13 quality non-conference games we brought to you in a previous Football Fix.