Sex offender arrested after 100-mph chase

Stephen Lamar Jones, 26, faces multiple charges.

Published: Saturday, May 1, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, April 30, 2010 at 11:22 p.m.

A registered sex offender led police and deputies on a chase that reached speeds of 100 mph late Thursday, the Alachua County Sheriff's Office reported.

After being stopped, officials said the Gainesville man had to be shot with a Taser stun gun before he could be arrested.

Stephen Lamar Jones, 26, of 3135 N.W. 28th Blvd., was arrested by Alachua County Deputy Jeffrey Reynolds. Jones was charged with three counts of fleeing and eluding police and one count each of fleeing and eluding police with disregard for the safety of people or property, no valid driver's license, carrying a concealed gun, displaying a weapon during a felony, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, resisting arrest and possession of cocaine.

The Florida Highway Patrol also charged Jones with leaving the scene of an accident with injuries.

The charges against Jones began piling up when a Gainesville police officer tried to pull him over at 1100 S.E. Ninth St, police said. The officer was trying to determine whether the tag on the white Crown Victoria that Jones was driving was assigned to that car, police said.

However, Jones refused to pull over, and a chase ensued in southeast Gainesville, police reported. The chase was called off by a supervisor because of the potential danger it posed to the public after police and deputies recorded Jones driving at more than 100 mph and into oncoming traffic while sometimes passing cars on the right of way. Stop sticks set out in roadways to deflate the tires on the Crown Victoria were ineffective, deputies said, because Jones drove around them.

The car Jones was driving eventually came to a stop at 2300 S.E. Hawthorne Road after he allegedly crashed into three vehicles. Police and deputies said they saw Jones get out of the disabled car and run south until he was tackled at 2326 S.E. Ninth Ave. Police said once Jones was on the ground, he refused to show his hands until a Taser was deployed on his back.

Deputies said Jones left the driver's side door of the car open, giving them an unobstructed view of a gun on the driver's seat and cocaine in the door pocket.

Jones was being held at the Alachua County jail on Friday.

According to records maintained by the Florida Departments of Corrections and Law Enforcement, Jones is a registered sex offender and has served two state prison sentences.

In 2005, he was sentenced to two years and eight months in prison for two counts of sexual battery. He served a second prison term for failing to register as a sex offender and was most recently released from prison in September 2009.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top