Deputy: Tasered man tells two to take his pants and run

From left, Antavious Thompkins, Eric Campbell and Theresa Watkins

Published: Monday, March 1, 2010 at 2:45 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, March 1, 2010 at 2:45 p.m.

An Alachua County deputy held three drug suspects at Taser point until back-up could arrive Friday night. The deputy was reportedly using his Taser on one of the suspects when the man dropped his pants and encouraged the other two to grab his pants and run off with them.

According to Sheriff's Office spokesman Art Forgey, the incident began shortly after 11:15 p.m. in the Linton Oaks area at 6108 S.W. 10th St.

Sheriff's Sgt. J. Crews said he was trying to pull over Antovious Thompkins, 26, for a traffic offense in the area of Linton Oaks at 6108 S.W 10th St.

According to Crews, Thompkins pulled into a dead end parking lot, jumped out of the car and ran off. Crews said he chased Thompkins until he was close enough to deploy his Taser.

Thompkins reportedly fell to the ground after being shocked by Crews' Taser, but between cycles was able to drop his pants, kick them off and call to Eric Campbell, 28, and Theresa Watkins, 27, to pick up the pants and run. Crews said Thompkins also kept reaching into his jacket pockets between Taser cycles.

As Campbell and Watkins moved toward Thompkins, Crews was able to hold all three at Taser point, Forgey said.

Backup deputies arrived, and the three people were arrested.

Deputies recovered $6,616.75 from Thompkins' pants pockets and two plastic bag of Ecstasy tablets from his jacket pocket. An additional 137 grams of Ecstacy tablets were found inside the car Thompkins had been driving, Forgey said.

According to deputies, a search of Watkins' residence nearby turned up about six ounces of marijuana that appeared packaged for retail sale along with more than 14 grams of Ecstasy, some cocaine and drug paraphernalia.

Thompkins, Campbell and Watkins were arrested and booked into the Alachua County jail on drug trafficking, drug possession and other felony charges. All three remained at the jail on Monday.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top