Mother trying to kill spider scalds baby


Published: Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 7:18 a.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 7:18 a.m.

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. — An infant in Pasco County was scalded because his mother reportedly tried to spray a spider off him with hot water.

Fire officials say the 5-month-old boy was brought to a station Tuesday evening with second-degree burns.

The sheriff's office reports that the 27-year-old mother saw a spider in the tub as she prepared to give her baby a bath. When she tried to wash it down the drain, it jumped on her son. She then grabbed the baby and put him under the running water to get the spider off.

Investigators have deemed the incident accidental. Family members told authorities they did not realize the setting on the water heater was so high, and a deputy watched the child's grandfather turn it down.

The infant has been released from the hospital and was recovering at home.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top