FBI arrests 2 in NYC terror investigation


Published: Friday, January 8, 2010 at 8:48 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 8, 2010 at 8:48 a.m.

NEW YORK (AP) — Two men were arrested Friday in the investigation of a bomb plot targeting New York City that previously led to charges against a Colorado airport driver.

The arrests in New York of Adis Medunjanin and Zarein Ahmedzay were part of "an ongoing investigation" by the Joint Terrorism Task Force, according to Special Agent Richard Kolko, who declined to comment further.

There were no immediate details on the charges against the men, according to Kolko and Robert Nardoza, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Brooklyn.

Nardoza said the men were expected to appear in court later Friday.

Medunjanin's attorney said the FBI seized his client's passport on Thursday. Robert C. Gottlieb said the search warrant indicated the passport was sought as part of an investigation into a conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction.

The airport driver, Najibullah Zazi, previously pleaded not guilty to that charge. He is accused of getting al-Qaida training to build homemade bombs to attack New York City.

Gottlieb said the FBI confirmed the arrests for him Friday morning, many hours after they occurred. Gottlieb said he didn't know what charges the men faced.

The lawyer, who insists Medunjanin has done nothing wrong, said officials at a Queens hospital had told him that authorities had taken Medunjanin into custody after he was treated for minor injuries from a traffic accident.

"They intentionally hid him from his lawyer and his family," Gottlieb said.

The name of Ahmedzay's attorney was not immediately on record.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top