Girl Scout cookie sale is upon us
Published: Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 7:11 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 7:11 p.m.
Here's another reason to spend more time in the break room at work beginning today: Order forms for the 2010 Girl Scout cookie drive will begin appearing at work, in homes, at churches and schools.
This year's annual sale includes a new flavor, a smaller size for a cookie introduced last year and the first price increase in seven years.
The price increase means digging around for a couple more quarters per box. Each box of cookies will cost $4 this year, up from $3.50 a box in recent years.
"This is really good news in a down economy -- Girl Scouting is up," said Nancy White, director of communications for Girl Scouts of Gateway Council, which serves most of North Florida. "Girls can try a little bit of a lot of things in scouting, and we have more girls now, so that requires we support them a little more, so the prices are up a little."
The price increase also is expected to replace money that had come from corporate and foundation gifts before the recession hit.
This year's new cookie is the Thank U Berry Munch, a concoction of rice crisps, creamy white chocolate bits and tangy, dried cranberry pieces. It joins the traditional favorites Do-Si-Dos, Thin Mints, Lemon Chalets, Samoas, Tagalongs and Trefoils as well as last year's new flavor, Dulce de Leche.
"We have made that one (Dulce de Leche) a bite-size cookie this year," White said. "People were looking for little bites, and this was super sweet, so we changed the size, and I think our customers will like that."
According to the Girl Scouts, the idea of selling cookies began in 1917 as a small service project in Oklahoma. Since then, it has grown into an annual, international event involving 200 million boxes of cookies, making it a $700 million-a-year business.
National Girl Scout officials said about 30 percent of the sales proceeds go to one of the two bakeries licensed to bake the iconic cookies. The remaining 70 percent goes to local Girl Scout councils, where the money is used to cover administrative costs as well as community service projects, field trips and other activities.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article