Sentencing for fired GPD officer delayed after he is beaten

David Reveille was reportedly beaten by another inmate in a television show dispute.

Former Gainesville Police Department officer Dave Reveille will be sentenced Friday as part of an appeal deal for soliciting prostitutes, shown at the Alachua County Criminal Courthouse in Gainesville, Fla., Monday, January 4, 2009.

Erica Brough/Gainesville Sun
Published: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, January 4, 2010 at 10:52 p.m.

A fired Gainesville police officer will have to wait until at least the end of the week before he is sentenced in a felony sex case after being injured following a dispute over the television show "Law and Order."

David John Reveille, 47, appeared in court Monday afternoon with a bandage over his nose. He was scheduled to be sentenced as part of a plea deal after being charged with using his official position to obtain sexual favors. Specifically, Reveille was charged in February with eight counts of sexual battery, two counts of battery and one count each of false imprisonment and official misconduct.

According to the Alachua County Sheriff's Office, Reveille was beaten by another inmate, Willis Jamard Robinson, 19, after a dispute over a television show.

Reveille told investigators he had been watching the hour-long program "Law and Order" the night before the incident, the Sheriff's Office reported. According to Reveille, Robinson changed the channel with only a few minutes left in the show and refused to turn the channel back to the program for Reveille.

The next day, shortly before 11 a.m. on Dec. 29, according to the Sheriff's Office, Reveille had been let out of his cell while a nurse was distributing medications. Reveille was being held in protective custody because he is a former law enforcement officer. Inmate witnesses told investigators that Reveille was at the water fountain getting a drink when Robinson ran out of his cell and punched the former officer once in the face with a closed fist. Witnesses said Reveille fell to the floor motionless.

Sheriff's spokesman Lt. Steve Maynard said Reveille was taken to Shands at the University of Florida for treatment. Maynard said federal privacy laws prohibit releasing medical details, but he was able to characterize the injuries to Reveille as serious but not life-threatening. Reveille later told investigators he did not remember anything after being punched until he woke up in the hospital.

Following a nearly 15-minute long conference with attorneys in the case Monday, Judge Ysleta McDonald delayed sentencing until at least Friday.

During the judge's conference with the attorneys, Reveille sat at a table with his head slightly tilted down and most of the time holding what appeared to be a white tissue or bandage over his mouth.

Robinson, who had been housed at the jail since late November on an attempted murder charge, was charged with battery in connection with the incident involving Reveille.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top