Good Samaritans report fire, possibly saving home


Published: Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 8:04 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 8:04 p.m.

A fire might have destroyed a northwest Gainesville home Sunday if not for the reaction of two young Good Samaritans, Gainesville Fire Rescue reported.

The fire enveloped the carport and garage of a home in the 1200 block of Northwest 31st Drive, said District Chief Jeff Lane. Two boys in nearby Westside Park reported the fire to authorities around 2:30 p.m., he said.

“We don’t know who they were, but we give them a lot of credit,” he said.

The fire was apparently caused by the homeowners cleaning out their fireplace and leaving the embers near the garage, he said. The homeowners weren’t home at the time of the fire, which Lane said was extinguished before damaging the rest of the home.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top