Charge vs. Carl Johnson dismissed
Published: Monday, March 9, 2009 at 4:47 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, March 9, 2009 at 4:47 p.m.
A misdemeanor charge against Florida offensive lineman Carl Johnson for allegedly violating a restraining order has been dismissed by the State Attorney's Office.
State Attorney Bill Cervone said there is insufficient evidence to charge Johnson, who was arrested last month for violating a restraining order obtained by his ex-girlfriend when he sat across the aisle from her on a bus on campus.
"To charge someone, it would have to be willful," Cervone said Monday. "There is nothing to prove anything willful happened. According to her version, he got on the bus and had no eye contact with her. The restraining order doesn't prevent him from being within a certain distance.
"He says he never saw her (on the bus). There's nothing there (to warrant charging Johnson)."
Additionally, the ex-girlfriend, who obtained the restraining order Feb. 9, has indicated she will not pursue possible criminal charges stemming from allegations she made against Johnson. In her petition, she claimed Johnson had date-raped her three times this past fall. She also accused Johnson of physical and emotional abuse.
Cervone said University Police have forwarded him an affidavit signed by the petitioner saying she does not want to pursue sexual battery charges against Johnson.
The restraining order against Johnson will remain intact until an April 7 hearing to determine whether the order should be terminated, extended or made permanent.
Johnson, a junior from Durham, N.C., became a starter at left guard this past season and is expected to battle for the starting role at left tackle in the spring.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article